Chapter 13

Nick.

I fell asleep on the couch. Ugh I never fall sleep during work hours. Shit. I have many things left to do. I started to get up but a I felt a sharp pain on my leg. I ignored it and took out my phone to check on the time. Six pm. As if on cue my stomach began to growl. I only had a sandwich for breakfast so I decided to go down to the kitchen to eat. I stood causing my head to spin. I grabbed on the table near the couch to balance myself.

With difficulty, I got out of the office and started down the stairs and thats when I heard loud laughter coming from the second floor landing followed by Jo shouting that Caroline was killing Luke. I turned the corner to see Caroline and Luke on ground laughing their heads off.

What was Luke doing? He was supposed to be on guard at all times. I felt anger and something else which I could not understand. I limped over to them and yelled at them.

Luke immediately got up from the floor followed by Caroline. Both of them looked apologetically at me. Caroline had red sketch marks all over her face, which was really funny. But I could not show that to them. I had to be stern to the members or they would loose the respect and fear they have for me. Before I could ask what they were doing on the floor, Jo walked over and looked up at me.

"Who are you?" she asked me.  She looked at me from head to toe,her eyes wide with curiosity.

"Thats one of my friends, sweetie" Caroline replied from behind her. Jo nodded without looking at her. Her tiny face was scrunched up in concentration as if to remember something. Her face suddenly lit up with excitement and she ran towards me and hugged my healthy leg.

"You saved me" she blurted out.Huh? How did she know that? I looked up at Luke and Caroline to see if they had told her. But they looked surprised too. I looked back at Jo and bent down to pick her up. I have never held a baby or a toddler before. But this somehow felt right. She snuggled into my chest.

"How do you know that kitten?" I asked her. "I saw a dream."

Hmm. She probably was half conscious when we saved her. Her stomach growled which made me let out a chuckle.

"Now, is little kitten hungry?" she blushed but nodded.

"Lets get you something to eat then."I looked at the stunned expressions of both Luke and Caroline. I indicated them to follow me and then made my way to the kitchen.

Luke.

A chuckle? Little kitten? He never chuckled. I barely even seen him smile over the past twenty years. What has gotten into this man?

Caroline.

Huh?

I was surprised at how fast his mood changes. I looked at Luke who was walking beside me, he was deep in thought. As we followed him down the stairs I couldn't help but wonder how filthy rich this people were. This mansion was like a palace. It probably contained five floors and all the  furniture looked expensive. 

Five minutes later we reached the kitchen and saw Jessica scrolling through her phone. Jessica was one of the main cooks who had brought me food when I was in the hospital ward with Jo. She looked at me and started to laugh but as soon as she noticed the boss ,she straightened up immediately and rushed to bring out the food. Huh. Everyone is  scared of him.

The boss or whatever, walked over to the large table and placed Jo on one of the chairs and sat on one himself. I looked at them awkwardly, wondering if I was allowed to sit on the table or not.

I looked at him playing with Jo.  He looked quiet handsome.He had extremely pointed features with striking, intense blue eyes contrasting wonderfully against his dark eyelashes and eyebrows. He had dark brown hair, darker than mine which was really messy but he pulled it off well.He had a well toned body with a light complexion with a olive undertone and high cheek bone and a solid jaw line.

He turned to me and smirked. I blushed and looked away.

"What are you waiting for? Don't you want to eat?"

"Oh" was all that I managed to blurt out. I stumbled over to the seat next to Jo and sat down.Jessica brought in the food one by one. I was stunned by how lavish it was. I saw Luke smirk at me. I probably looked like a four year old getting a heap of chocolate bars.

I only started eating when Mr Handsome got a urgent phone call and had to leave.I decided to call him that because I realized I did not know his real name.

Before he got up to leave, he kissed Jo's cheek.

"When will you be back?" she asked.

" I don't know kitten, but I am sure to bring a few presents for my princess" with that he walked out of the kitchen.

Huh. Why was this gangsters being nice. Why are they helping me? Why did they kidnap me then if they were so nice?

"We don't kill innocent people" Oops must have said that out loud.

"And yes you said that out loud" he said with a smirk. What is he? A mind reader?

"Oh yes, as I was saying, we don't kill innocent people. Boss was really mad at me when I told him about you, he doesn't think straight when he is mad, so he ordered me to kill you. But then after I chased you and found out where you lived and came to kill you, he calmed down and started to think straight. He told me not to kill you but we couldn't let a witness walk around freely ,so he decided that you will move in with us. And yes, do not try to escape. There is no use.This place is heavily guarded and if the boss comes to know he will be very mad. And a angry boss is a ruthless boss." he grinned at me and stood up to go.

"I have a little work to do, Jessica will escort you to your room and the sketch marks look good on you." I slammed my hand to my forehead lightly as I realized that forgot to wash of the sketch marks.

He was about to walk out the door when  he turned around and added,

"And Caroline, we aren't just gangsters, we are the strongest mafia in Italy "

He smirked as I let out a audible gasp.