Chapter4 - School or...

Start from the beginning

-      Bye. – Maz laughed.

I took a deep breath as I watched them walk back down the road we came.

“This ought to be good.” – I thought to myself and walked through the school’s front door.

Turns out it’s not as scary inside as it is outside. The hallways were filled with laughs, yells and screams. It made me feel a bit homesick as it reminded me of my school back home. I shook it off and headed towards the principal’s cabinet to get my program. It wasn’t that hard to find, though the class had already started when I found it.

I knocked on the heavy wooden door.

-      Come in. – I heard a woman’s voice come from inside.

I pushed the door and walked inside. It was quite a normal office, a wooden desk, a leather chair behind it, two smaller leather chairs in front of it, a few pictures on the wall, a computer on the desk and some books, some rafts with more books on the wall and that’s pretty much it.

-      Please, sit down. – The headmistress said. – You must be Kalina?

-      I am. – I mumbled as I was sitting down.

-      I’m the principal, Mrs. Miller. Your teacher told me a great deal about you. – She paused.

-      All good, I hope. – I smiled innocently thinking of all the bad things my teacher could have said, hoping that wasn’t the case.

-      Yes, of course. This is your curriculum. You better be on your way, class has already started. – With that she showed me to the door and closed it behind me.

I looked at my schedule:

·       History – room 208, professor Grey

·       Literature – room 105, professor Greene

·       Art – room 301, professor Brown

“Doesn’t seem too bad” - I thought to myself and headed towards the room where my history class was being held.

I knocked at the door and went in without bothering to wait for a response. The door was at the back of the room and everyone had turned around to see who was standing at the door.

-      Oh, you must be the Bulgarian student. Kalina, is it? – The teacher suggested and I nodded. – Well grab a seat. I’m Professor Grey and this is History.

I looked around the room there was a few free seats at the front and just one, lonely spot by the window at the back. I went over to it and sat down. I could feel everyone’s stares burning in my back, the curiosity killing them inside.

-      Would you like to say a few words about yourself? – Grey asked.

-      I’d rather not. – I gave him an apologetic smile.

-      Okay then, we are talking about Macedonia during the time of Alexander the Great. Are you familiar with this topic? – He questioned again.

-      Just a bit. – I tried to hide my excitement since actually that was one of my favorite lessons in History ever and I knew every detail about it, but I didn’t want to seem like a nerd so…

Mr. Grey then went on with his lesson. I got out my notebook, iPod and headphones. I stuck one of my headphones in and hid it under my hair, then picked a decent playlist and put it on. Soon I heard Ed Sheeran’s soft voice in my ear and relaxed. I took a pen and started to scrabble in my notebook so it seemed like I was taking notes, which I was, only not on the lesson, but some randomly popping ideas in my mind.