37| The Beginning after the End

Start from the beginning

Now she was here, no friends, eyes watching her, waiting for a slip up. A supervisor that drove her up the walls and a completely hellish working atmosphere overall.

Was this the life she wanted? Was she living? A few months ago she would've agreed but now? Her state of mind was a lot better now than it was then and she was quickly realizing why she had ran from her parents in the first place.

Ameena ran a hand down her face. Sighing loudly.

After leaving him and choosing not to be involved with him and anything from him she had went back to her old life. Unfortunately, that proved to be the worst of all ideas since every night she stared into the ceiling without sleep, the urge to call him back almost eating her alive and every day on the job she'd mess up somehow, constantly jittery and out of focus.

After a month too long of this dysfunctional lifestyle, she sat up and called in that she had quit. By then, everything in her wanted to run back to Alex. Run to one of those men tailing her, her own personal bodyguards that had barely hid themselves and stood out like sore thumbs. Alexander had placed them to ensure her safety just incase Alonzo's dregs appeared or if anyone else had any funny ideas. She had tried not to notice them but that was impossible.

She had wanted to run to them and have them contact Alex so she could jump right back into to his arms but she was so stubborn. So stubborn and depressed, developing a bit of anxiety that had her immobile. She had to chose to call someone but it absolutely could not be Alexander...or Ron. She ended up choosing the next best thing (or probably the fucking worst, thinking about it right now). She called her parents.

She cringed internally, remembering how self satisfied they had looked, as if they'd expected this sooner or later. At that time she hardly cared, she wanted to get better without depending on Alexander. So she followed her parents. Utilized them to get the best therapy in the state, and they oh so generously pulled strings and got her a better appartment.

In just another few weeks of therapy and her parent's 'guidance', she had been molded into a proper working civilian and gotten dumped into a job.

They'd wanted to put her directly at the head position in one of their agencies however she strongly disagreed which led to them putting her here. She had quickly gotten the privilege of a better office than the supervisor themself, a requirement her parents insisted on because, a direct quote, 'no child of theirs would sit and waste away in a cubicle.'

What could she do, she hadn't cared enough about what was going on around her, only following her therapist on her journey to self recovery. Workers were too afraid to go against her parents so they resorted to talking behind her back, watching her like a hawk and scattering like chickens whenever she came around. A habit of theirs that continued from her first month until now.

After she first got dumped here, she convinced herself this was the distraction she needed. She no longer had sleepless nights and only felt empty whenever she purposely thought of him, so she simply stopped thinking about him all together.

She ignored her coworkers who called her nepotism's bitch behind her back and had tried to curry favor with her on the surface. Her supervisor had gotten on her nerves but she welcomed that type of senseless bickering because it allowed her to feel something other than the complete emptiness threatening to swallow her whole. And regardless of how she got here, she was 100% sure she did her job and got results.

Her coworkers had stopped interacting with her early and only spoke to her if absolutely necessary. They still watched her for gossip though. After so long, she was still a hot topic in the breakroom.