Part 20 - If we were not on different sides...

When we arrived at Zhan's house, he handed me pajamas for the night and I went to take a shower first. When I was done with that, I went to see where Zhan was, since he wasn't in his bedroom. I just walked down the hall and finally found him in his office.

Seeing him so engrossed in his work, sitting there typing hastily, reminded me of me when I came to the agency from a mission or other job and wanted to quickly write everything down so as not to forget anything. But in this case, he wasn't working at all, I realized. He was answering an email from his daughter. I'm still surprised by the fact that he has a daughter.

I mean sure, it had been maybe only two hours when I first heard about his daughter and I can't even blame him for not telling me about her first. After all, what we both have is casual. After all, we're not a couple and he barely knows me. Just like I barely know him.

When he had answered his daughter's email, he won't tell me her name, which is Okay, he explained to me what the next business dinner is about. There we will meet the boss of a Taiwanese triad. And the reason for this meeting, also amazed me quite a lot.

Zhan said, "We are meeting the boss of a Taiwanese triad. The point is that he made me an offer and now he wants an answer from me."

"What kind of offer?" I asked.

"He offered me to marry his daughter and become a part of his triad and be under their protection."

"What? You don't really want to get married, do you?"

"Why not? My father won't be in business much longer. He, anyway. As soon as he leaves, he wants to hand over the reins to me. But as long as Wen Xu and Wen Chao are still around, of course they won't let that happen. Besides, I think Wen Xu knows who betrayed him. And if our father hands over his business, Xu will want to take revenge. I'd be safe in the triad in that regard."

"Are you crazy? You can't marry that woman because of that!"

"And why not? In the business world, it's perfectly normal to do such a thing."

"But not for you. You're not even into women. What kind of marriage are you trying to have?"

"Yibo, you sound like you're jealous right now."

"I'm not. But I admit, I don't like the idea of you considering marrying this woman. Let me help you, with your brothers. I can do that."

"So they can get away with it after all?"

"No! I'll make sure that doesn't happen."

"Well, we'll see. The business dinner isn't for another month anyway. I'll have plenty of time to think about it until then."

"Before I let you marry this woman, I'm going to arrest you and keep you a prisoner in my apartment until you come to your senses."

"You're going to arrest me and keep me locked up in your apartment?"

"If I have to, yes."

"Oho, Wang Yibo, you seem to be really brave."

"I am. Otherwise I wouldn't be with you!"

"I wouldn't do anything to you. Why should I? As long as we don't get in each other's way, we'll be fine."

"Mhm, as long as we remain friendly enemies. Zhan, what's the situation? Are you done with your work? Shall we go to bed then?"

"Yeah, I'm done. I have to get up early again tomorrow and be at the airport on time."

"It's going to Hungary, right? What do you have to do there?"