CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

•••

     By the time Venus made it to her AP Biology class, most of the seats were taken. Lydia was sitting up front next to a girl Venus had never spoken to before, Kira on the bench next to her with Scott. The brunette quickly sits herself on the bench directly behind them. She could see Lydia and Kira exchanging glances, in a silent conversation over Scott being in this class.

The bell rings soon after, the seat beside being taken by none other than Theo Raeken himself. Venus gives the boy a small smile before turning back to the front of the class. It can't hurt to be nice, right?

"Welcome to AP Biology." Mrs. Finch speaks loudly as she walks into the classroom shortly after. "Let's see who's awake. Can somebody tell me what plasmids are?"

Lydia immediately answers the woman, not giving a chance for anyone else. "Circular, self-replicating DNA molecules often used in cloning proteins."

"Nicely stated, Lydia. Now, can you tell me what vitamin is absorbed in the stomach via parietal cell production of a glycoprotein?"

Venus had absolutely no clue what the woman just said, making her rethink her subject choice. Oh God. Biology is practically in my veins, why am I so stupid?!

Everyone seated around the classroom completely blanks as well, including Lydia, allowing their teacher to look over at them smugly while giving them the correct answer.

"Mr. McCall, did you know the answer?" the woman raises her eyebrows at the boy, gaining a hesitant no. "It's a common test question. What's your number one college pick?"

"Um.." Scott hesitated once again, irritating their teacher who chastises him to stop saying 'um'. "UC Davis."

Yet another thing Venus was evaluating. College. Maybe I should just drop out of high school.

"Good choice. It's the best school on the west coast for biological and physical sciences. You're in the right class if that's what you're hoping for."

The biology teacher finally turns her attention away from Scott and looks up at the rest of the class. "Who else here thinks they're in the right class?"

The whole group stays still for a couple seconds before Theo raises his hand from next to Venus, giving the courage for everyone else to raise their own hands.

"Good. Then you should all be ready for tomorrow's test." Venus groans along with a few other of her peers, causing the boy next to her to be amused. This woman has got to be kidding. "Don't be so upset, it's only to determine which of you should actually be in AP Biology. You have two weeks to drop, tomorrow's test will just weed out the ones who shouldn't be here. That could be any of you."

Great boost of confidence Mrs. Finch.

The rest of their class goes by as normal, Venus' hand almost entirely cramping up from the amount of notes she was scribbling down. She only hoped she could manage to read her handwriting later on. Her books were in her bag as soon as the bell ring and they were dismissed but the boy seated next to her stops her before she could leave.

"I didn't catch your name." Theo smiles at her, almost too sweetly. "You know mine, so it's only fair, right?"

"Venus." she smiles back, holding her hand out to him which he gladly shakes. "I'll see you around, Theo."

Venus had a free period next and was by her locker, her friends already waiting for her at the library. She hadn't seen Stiles since that morning but she had a hunch he was setting his 'plan' in motion. Her strange feeling from last night remained unmentioned to her friends so far, she was waiting for another sign so as to not worry anyone for what could be a minor inconvenience.