Chapter 3

Third Person's Point of View

Today was the day Adalyn needed to be prepared.

Her father woke her up early, telling her to clean up and dress herself. She was sitting on her bed, waiting for her father to call her. She was dressed up, wearing a plain blue dress that stops beneath her knees. A light make-up on her face, covering a few bruises.

She lets out a deep breath, trying to stop her nerves.

She was a nervous wreck. A swirl of questions invading her mind. "Ano ba meron? Papalayasin na ba nila ako?" She questions herself.

"God, I wish."

Before another question pops up in her mind, her father comes into the room. Looking a little rushed.

"Let's go."

She quickly stands up and goes to her father. She sees her step-mother in their hall, waiting for them.

Her step-mother eyes widen when she sees her, "¡¿No la dejaste inconsciente ?!" she tells her husband.

"What- Is she speaking Spanish? Since when?!" Adalyn was getting anxious. She didn't know what was going on.

"¡No hay tiempo para eso! ¡Ella nos está esperando! ¡Tenemos que irnos ahora!" He lightly shouts at her.

Her step-mother sighs in frustration, "Fine, I'll do it myself."

Adalyn sees her take something out her bag. "A cloth? Para saan?" Again, she was confused about the situation.

"Adalyn... Iha, come here." Adalyn was scared. Her gut was telling her not to go.

She shakes her head no to her step-mother. She sees her step-mother's eyes darkening, "Adalyn, wag na makulit. I said, come here!" She screams at her step-daughter.

Still, Adalyn stay stood to her spot. Refusing her step-mother. She wanted to run, but she felt like her feet was stuck on the floor. "Get her." Her step-mother orders her father.

Adalyn was shaking like a twig. She frantically signs to her dad, "Daddy, what are you two doing? Please, stop it. I'm scared."

Her father tsked, "Shut up, Adalyn." Before grabbing her by the hair, pulling her closer to her step-mother. She was struggling, trying to free herself from her father. Tears streaming down her face as she tries to take his father's hand from her hair.

It felt like her scalp was burning.

Her father releases her hair unexpectedly, thus making her fall onto the floor making a loud sound. She tries to stand up but her father quickly kicks her side, making her let out a cry. Due to the kick, her breathing became hard. Her vision becoming blurry. Everything around her was hazy. She couldn't hear or see anything. Too busy focusing on the pain, Adalyn didn't realize her step-mother was kneeling beside her, with a cloth on her hand.

Her step-mother lets out a sigh, "I'm sorry, iha." She presses the cloth harshly onto her step-daughters nose. "Hold her, Matteo." She tells her husband.

Adalyn eyes widens, her father was holding her down whilst her step-mother presses the cloth onto her nose. "Everything will be okay once you breath in, iha. I promise."

"NO! No! Don't breathe in, Adalyn!" Her mind screams at her.

She struggles, trying to get out. She tries to punch her father in his face but he quickly holds her hands. She tries speaking, "Da-!" Her words came to stop when her father punches her stomach. She breathes in, accidentally breathing in on the cloth.

"No!" Her vision starts to blur.

"Ano ba ginawa ko sainyo?"

She tries to fight her eyes open.

She tried to speak one last time, calling out to her father. "Daddy..."

Her father's eyes widen. Shocked that her daughter spoke. "Adalyn?" He says softly.

Her step-mother becomes irritated, "Just fucking go to sleep, you brat!" She presses the cloth again to her nose. This time, Adalyn didn't try to fight it off.

She accepted her faith.

"Help... me..."

The world became dark.

Matteo's thoughts were foggy while driving his family to their destination. His wife, sitting next to him, trying to grab his attention.

"Matteo!" She slightly shouts, finally gaining her husband's attention.

He flinches, "Ano?" He asks numbly. Lucia looks at her husband with concern. She takes his free hand and intwines it with hers, "Hon, ayos ka lang ba?"

Matteo, without any thoughts replied,

"Oo."

Written by
TheBlueWerewolfOfTheNight