Chapter Twenty-Two

The group all braced for the boat ride to the end. They were cautious, knowing there was something in the river there with them. Bendy stared over the railing on the boat looking for the giant hand but when he saw nothing, went back to Alyssa. Connor steered the boat through the river. Lys couldn't help noticing Bendy looked rather sad.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I still feel bad for everything that happened." He said as he looked at her.

Alyssa hoisted her necklace off of her neck and gave it to Bendy. He examined it for a bit and then put it on.

"But I thought you loved this!" He said sadly. 

"Eh, I can always get another one." Lys scoffed. "And besides, it's Billie Eilish. I can find these almost everywhere."

Bendy looked up at her with a confused, but warm smile as them and the others continued to ride the barge to the end of the inky river.

"This is a lot longer than I remember it being." Bendy remarked.

"We are almost to the end, right?" Nate asked.

"I think I see land!" Connie exclaimed. "Look! There's a dock!"

They all pulled up toward the dock and stepped out of the boat. As they made their way up the ramp, the giant hand revealed itself, grabbed the boat, and pulled it down under the ink. Alyssa picked up Bendy once they got to the land.

"Where do we go now?" Maddox asked.

"If I remember correctly, there should be something down this hallway." Bendy replied.

"Can you go see?" Connie asked.

Bendy nodded and tunnelled into the ground. He raced down the passageway to see what was on the other end. Alyssa followed after him. When they arrived, they saw a couple beds, a toilet, a desk, and a fish tank.

"What is this?" Lys asked.

"I don't know." Bendy remarked. "I don't think I've ever seen this room before."

"Wait!" Her eyes lit up. "This looks like Allison and Tom's safe house! If I remember correctly, Henry mentioned something in that journal about how they hid out from the Ink Demon in here."

"Well, that explains how I've never seen this place before today."

"You guys find anything?" They heard Maddox ask from out at the dock. The two quickly realized that they had nowhere else to go.

"We're at a dead end!" Lys panicked. "This can't be it!"

"There's a door back out by the dock!" Bendy said. "Come on!"

He tunnelled again and Lys raced after him. They made it back to the dock and there were the others waiting patiently for them.

"Well? Did you find anything?" Maddox asked.

Alyssa shook her head and dashed toward the door that was right behind them. Locked. Unsurprising. Nate turned around and saw the inky river slowly rising. It started off slow but quickly grew quicker and quicker.

"Okay. NOW, we're really trapped!" Nate panicked.

Bendy quickly glanced at the wall next to the door and smiled. "Not yet, we aren't!" He beamed. "I have an idea!"

"Which is?" Connie asked.

"I was thinking I tunnel through the wall and carry all of you with me." Bendy responded.

"I already see so many problems with this." Connor remarked. "First of all, that only worked with one person, not five. Second, you're barely past our knees. What makes you think you can carry all five of us?"