sixty nine

April 2017 - Spring Break

Talia slides through Peter's open window, catching him at his desk.

"Hello Mr Parker."

The boy jerks around, a hand on his chest. "You scared me. What's going on?"

"It's time for your second surprise."

"I forgot about that!" He grins wide.

"Be right back, May's in the other room right?"

"Uh yeah. Tal what—"

Talia leaves his room and walks into the kitchen, finding May cooking.

"Hey Tal! Is it time?"

"Yes." She leans in closer. "Thank you for agreeing to this, he'll be safer than ever with us."

"Of course, I trust you."

Talia beams at the woman and turns to find Peter glancing between them, clearly confused.

"Come on my friend. We're going on a trip."

"What?" He asks while following her back into his room.

She sits on his bed and smiles up at him. "Pack a bag, enough stuff for a week."

"I—what? Right now?"

"Yes. My stuff's in the car."

"Uh...okay." Peter pulls out his duffel bag and starts shoving in clothes. He heads to the bathroom and comes back with his shower items and toiletries.

"Kay I'm ready."

"That fast? I need a whole list and everything."

"Yeah Im good."

"Okay let's go. Say bye to May, you won't see her for a couple days."

Talia hugs May and says goodbye, Peter doing the same and then they leave the apartment. Heading down to Tal's Mercedes.

"Where are we going?"

"Not telling you just yet."

Peter groans but waits patiently as Talia starts to drive him towards the Compound.

"We're going to the Compound?"

"Yes but no. Our ride is there." Talia turns up the radio to drone out the silence and smiles excitedly as they pull up to her home.

She parks and grabs her bag from the backseat, Peter doing the same. She leads him past the front entrance and around to the lawn.

The boy stops in his tracks and gapes at the ship in front of them. It's not too big, about the size of a quinjet, sleek black with large engines.

Tal pulls Peter hurriedly along and stops in front of the ship as a panel opens and a staircase forms.

Talia squeals as Shuri steps out and runs down the stairs.

"Shuri!"

"My friend!"

The two meet in the middle and envelope each other in a hug. Talia pulls back.

"You're taller than I imagined."

Shuri chuckles and then glances at Peter. "You must be Peter! The genius friend." Shuri's Wakandan accent is thick.

"I—hi. Uh—I don't really know what's going on." He glances at Tal for help.

"Peter, this is my friend Shuri."

"The one that made your suit." He states.

"Yes. Peter..."she gestures to the ship. "we're going to Wakanda."