sixty eight

March 2017

"Congratulations," Secretary Ross says in a monotone voice. "your probation period is over."

Talia grins wide at Ross' hologram in the conference room. "Thank you sir."

Ross clicks off the link and Talia beams over at Tony.

"Wooo!" She fist bumps her dad.

"Alright kiddo, get to school."

"Yes sir." She salutes him and grabs her backpack, heading to her car.

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"Hey!" Pete says as she enters the cafeteria.

Tal just arrived at the school, coming in late due to her meeting with Ross. She fiddles with the vibranium necklace that rests around her neck.

"How'd it go?" Ned asks as she sits down.

"I'm free bitches!"

Her friends laugh and cheer, happy for the girl.

"So what's your first order of business?" MJ asks.

"Get back to training, I've been slacking. And maybe I'll do some shopping."

"Do I get my surprise now?" Pete asks with a smile.

"Later. After school."

"Fine."

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"Where are we going?" Pete asks as they walk towards his house after school.

"You have your suit?"

"Yes."

"Wanna go do some superhero shit?"

"Hell yeah!"

She chuckles as they walk through the city, nearing their usual alley. Peter turns and slides his backpack off. Talia takes her jacket off and puts it in her backpack, then hiding it behind the dumpster.

She turns and watches Peter put on his suit, his eyebrows furrowing at her when he sees her still in her clothes.

"Where's your suit?"

She smirks and wills her suit to form, her friend's eyes widen as he watches.

"Holy shit."

She looks down and admires the ombre of grey to black, the light and flexible material. Peter blinks a couple times and then strides forward. His hand reaches out, as if to touch the material, but he pauses, looking at her.

"It's vibranium."

"Vibranium?" His geekiness takes over and he feels her arm, marveling at the material.

"I have a friend, Shuri, and she made it. She lives in Wakanda...and their technology is absolutely insane Pete."

"Wakanda? Like—"

"T'Challa. The Black Panther in Berlin. He's the king now, Shuri's his sister."

"This is so cool. How does it work?"

Talia holds up her wrist. "These are kimoyo beads."

"I've been wondering what those were. They glow."

"Yes, they connect to my body and stuff and are the reason I can summon my suit at will. There's also a communication bead, so basically I could call or FaceTime you from this."

"So cool."

"It's literally awesome. Somehow it forms from my necklace and my new rings."

Peter glances at the necklace that's embedded into the suit and smiles. "Genius."