forty one

"You got bit by a spider? Can it bite me? It would hurt though right?" Ned asks as the three of them walk to school, Peter carrying his books because he lost his backpack. "You know what? Whatever even if it did hurt, I'll let it bite me. Maybe, how much did it hurt?"

"The spider's dead Ned."

"Okay and what about you? How'd you get your powers? What can you do? Did it hurt?"

"I was born with them, others I—took from people." Tal says.

"Took?"

"Example: I was hurt and needed to heal faster, so I borrowed Peter's ability to heal faster than a normal person and it helped me. Now my personal healing process is sped up like his."

"That's so cool." The trio slow down as they near Mr Delmar's. "Woah. You guys were here?"

They take in the wreckage that used to be Mr Delmar's.

"Yeah." Peter says.

"Could've died."

"I watched. Peter did all the dangerous shit."

"No—you ran into the fire to pull out Mr Delmar. That was dangerous , Tal."

"I—Peter. Did you forget that I survived a nuclear bomb? I literally am inflammable. Perfectly safe."

"A nuclear what now?" Ned asks.

"Main point: Peter could've died."

"Do you lay eggs?" Ned suddenly asks.

"What? No!"

Talia bends over at the waist, laughter flowing out of her. "Oh god! Pete if you lay eggs you're never getting a girlfriend! That was a good one Ned." She reaches out and high fives Ned.

Peter just shakes his head.

⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

"Hi I'm Captain America." The recording on the TV starts.

Tal leans over to Peter. "The fact that Steve had to do this...next time I see him...I'm never gonna let him live this down."

"You know Captain America?" Ned whispers.

"He was my best friend before you guys. Well, him and Nat. But now they're like fugitives so I don't know if I can say that."

"Wow. Do you know him too?" Ned asks.

"Yeah, we met. I stole his shield."

"He did." Tal confirms.

"Pretty sure this guy's a war criminal now, but whatever I have to show you this video it's required by the state." Their teacher says as the video concludes.

As gym class goes on, Talia sits next to Liz and Betty, watching some of the boys work on their sit ups.

"For me, it would be F Thor, marry Iron Man and kill Hulk." Betty says.

Talia chuckles at that, but is a little uncomfortable at the mention of her dad.

"What about the Spiderman?"

"Did you guys see that big thing on Youtube? He fought off four guys!" Liz says.

"Oh my God you're crushing on Spiderman." Tal says with a smile.

"Kind of I guess."

"Gross! He's probably like thirty. You don't even know what he looks like—" Betty says.

"He's cute." Tal says, immediately cursing herself at the slip.

"You know him?"

"Nope, just have seen him once I guess." She says while looking down at her hands.

"Either way I wouldn't care. I would love him for the person he is on the inside." Liz continues.

"Peter and Tal know Spiderman!" Tal whips her head around at Ned.

Her eyes widen and her mouth drops open, similar to Peter's expression. The whole gym stops, everyones eyes flicking between the two of them.

"Uh—no I don't!" Peter says as he gets up. "I—I mean."

"They're all friends. Yeah like Coach Wilson and Captain America." Flash says.

"I met him—yeah a couple of times. Tal's met him more—"

Throw me under the bus one more time Peter I dare you. She glares at him.

"It's um...through the Stark Internship. Yeah, we're not really supposed to talk about it." He turns to Ned when he says that.

"Well that's awesome," Flash starts. "Hey, you know what? Maybe you should invite him to Liz's party right? While you're at it go on and invite Eden, maybe Black Widow too."

"Yeah um. I'm having people over tonight, you guys are more than welcome to come." Liz says.

Talia bites her lip, unsure how well this is gonna go.

"You're having a party?" Peter asks.

"Yeah it's gonna be dope. You should totally invite your personal friend Spiderman."

"Uh—"

"It's okay," Liz says. "We know Peter's way too busy for parties anyway so."

"Oh come on, he'll be there. Right Parker?"

The bell rings ahead signaling the end of class. Talia pushes up off the bench and marches over to Ned, she grabs his arm, a loud crack sounding out as he flinches.

"Sorry."

"You shocked me!"

"It's a risk of pissing me off."

"Tal..." Peter starts as he follows them.

She tugs them into a secluded corner.

"You cannot say things like that. Tony doesn't want Peter's identity out there and Peter himself definitely doesn't want that. It's dangerous, if people know who he is, he'll have enemies. Well—he kinda already does. And for me—I'm not supposed to be doing anything Avenger like cause I'm on fucking probation. I don't wanna get arrested."

"Why uh, why would you get arrested?"

Talia sighs. "Remember when we went to Germany?"

"Yeah..."

"Peter was on the legal side, I was on the illegal side. But cause Tony's my dad—"

"WHAT?"

"Shh! And because I'm a minor, I got put on probation instead of being put in prison. This is why we don't tell people okay? You gotta be careful about what you say and put out there. It's part of my job to make sure Pete stays in line—"

"I'm sorry what now?" Peter asks.

"I'm supposed to keep an eye on you, part of my job."

"What job?" Ned asks.

She groans. "I'm an Avenger Ned, and I'm on probation, and my best friend is an Avenger in-training. I'm supposed to look out for you, Peter. Be wise or some shit."

"Well, you suck at your job." Peter says, the hint of a smile on his face.

"You weren't saying that when I kicked your ass in Berlin."

"Whatever..."

"Just please think before you say something Ned. And sorry I shocked you, it's hard to control sometimes."

"The amount of times I've got shocked since I met you..." Peter says while shaking his head.

"Anyway, let's get to class. We're gonna be late."