No Justice, No Peace (Part One)

*I did want to put a disclaimer, that this story part is sad and it does talk about what's happening currently in our world right now. I love that All American is going to talk about it, as it sheds some light on Black Lives Matter and police brutality. This story part was hard to write for many reasons, as I do get way too emotional when I hear the stories of these innocent lives being lost. But I decided to push through and write it, as it is important and should be written about. Thank you for reading, and if this is too emotional for you, or too sad, I understand but I do want to let you know that the next few stories will be centered around this story part, so I hope to see you in a few days, thank you. 

...

The news of Tamika Pratt weighed heavy in the community and in their hearts. They'd felt sick to their stomachs, hearing the devastating news of a seventeen-year-old girl who had been murdered by the same officers that were supposed to serve and protect them. The city of Crenshaw had been angry, upset, and saddened to hear that her life had been in the hands of an officer, who didn't think twice about drawing their weapon. How were they supposed to feel safe in their own community?

To call for help when their own family, friends, or neighbors, were being targeted. Fearing for their lives the moment they see the flashing red and blue lights in the rearview mirror. Not ever knowing the intention or motive the officer had in mind. Would they be understanding? Or would the officer profile the man or women standing before them by the way they looked, the color of their skin, or the neighborhood they were in. Quickly turning the victims into threats when in reality the only threat had been the officer with the mentality of shoot first and think later.

Just like many others, Olivia had been confused, and upset about how could this have happened. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact knowing the same officers that had murdered Tamika Pratt hadn't been arrested. They were still wearing the badge and uniform not apprehended for their actions. Yet another innocent life lost due to police brutality. The stories on the news kept replaying in her head, Olivia couldn't shake the feeling she'd felt knowing she and Spencer were just a block away a few weeks ago. Standing before an officer who was quick to profile Spencer. Ever since hearing the news about Tamika, Olivia couldn't stop thinking if her parents hadn't shown up, and the officer had gotten physical would she still be breathing? Would Spencer still be here?

Her mind raced thinking back to that very same night. The cop had only been inches away from Spencer glaring at him as if he'd done something wrong. As if the both of them had stolen her car, and were criminals. She'd felt the officer's intentions headed elsewhere. Ready to throw them on the ground, and lock them up. Without even looking at the information in his hands, the officer had already painted a picture of them in his mind. When in reality it'd been the opposite. Olivia felt a lump caught in her throat standing before the stage, looking at every poster filled with Tamika's name written in big bold letters. The flashes of her pictures that were shown on the news stayed permanently engraved in her mind. Kia wrapped her arms around Olivia, holding her tightly. Tamika's sister walked on stage when she stared back at the community, her friends, and her family.

"Tamika Pratt was a great sister. She was my best friend, she was an athlete, she was an honors student, and she worked hard to support our family. She wasn't a criminal, she never hung out too late with her friends, and she was always home before curfew. Tamika Pratt deserves to be here, to be standing with us, and fighting alongside us. The officer who thought it was okay to take out his gun is. He's still breathing. He still gets to go home to his family. He still gets to have family dinners, birthdays, see his kids grow up, and walk down the street without being harassed by his own. Being dragged out of his car and shot without a moment's notice," Tamika's sister stayed quiet for a brief moment letting her words sink deeper.