Coming Home (Part One)

The music grew louder while the crowd had gotten dense in the middle of the auditorium. Everyone cheered as the crowd opened up to Chris and Kia, dancing. A grin splashed across Spencer's face watching Chris show off his moves, impressing Kia. "Everyone please congratulate your homecoming king Chris Jackson, and your homecoming queen Kia Williams," The DJ yelled over the microphone while switching the song. As soon as the beat dropped everyone on the dance floor rumbled the auditorium, as the floor vibrated. "Congratulations Crenshaw Chargers on your win last night, and making it to the playoffs. State champs here we come. Is there a Spencer James in the house?" The DJ asked.

The moment the spotlight shined above him. Spencer waved when the DJ clapped. "Give it up to the MVP of last night's game, he scored a total of seven touchdowns, tying the school record with Corey James. Congratulations once again, let's give it up for the entire team and all the coaches. They put in the work last night and it was well-received," the DJ said. The crowd broke out into a thunderous clap. Spencer stuffed his hands in his pocket when he smiled standing on the edge of the dance floor. The DJ resumed the music while the lights turned off as the strobe lights flashed across the floor. Spencer glanced around the room watching all the happy couples when a sad smile fell on his lips looking down to the floor thinking back to Olivia.

His homecoming was supposed to look a bit different this year. He wanted nothing more than to be near the girl he loved, and wrap her in his arms while they danced through the night. But Spencer understood that her NA meeting had been more important than homecoming. Especially with Jordan being admitted to the hospital the evening prior, he knew it was important for Olivia to attend a meeting and see her sponsor.

He could already feel that Olivia had been making great progress towards her recovery and he'd already been proud of her. Even though it hurt for them to go their separate ways for a few days, he knew when the timing was perfect, they'd be stronger and healthier together. Although he came to support Chris and Kia, Spencer didn't have the energy to be present in the moment to enjoy homecoming. With the sudden news surrounding Jordan, his mind had been preoccupied with other things.

Spencer felt a heavy hand on his shoulder when he turned to see Coach Baker standing beside him. "Coach? What are you doing here? I thought you weren't coming since you were at the hospital with Jordan," Spencer said. Coach baker looked distraught, stuck in his thoughts when he shrugged. His gaze weighed heavy on Spencer when he gave him a forceful smile. "Simone took the night shift. I was free for the evening since Laura is with Olivia at a meeting. Thought to come down and get my mind off of everything," Coach Baker said. "Same," Spencer agreed. "And how's that working out?" Coach Baker asked. Spencer shook his head. "Not great,". Billy sighed. "Yeah, me either,".

"I gotta say you made Corey very proud last night," Billy grinned for a brief moment. "You think so? He ain't going to be too mad I didn't beat his record? It's funny cause I swear I could hear him yelling at me to get up and keep going. To be great," Spencer said. "You were great. Last night I saw the old Spencer on the field. The same guy I recruited to play for Beverly last year. I saw that spark that you had been missing. You played your best game and you left it all out in the field. As for Corey, I saw quite the opposite. I saw him running just beside you and kneeling down with you. No doubt he'd be so proud of the man you've become. You've grown a lot in the last year, and I'm proud of you. I know I may be hard on you sometimes, but it's only to make you a better player," Coach Baker said. "I know Coach. Did you have any doubts that we weren't going to make it to playoffs?" Spencer asked.

"No. I knew you guys could do it. It was a rough start but you guys pulled through. Now is where the real work begins. Winning state ain't going to be easy," Coach Baker said. "Not even a bit,". Off into the distance, Billy heard his name being called when he turned to see Denise walk towards him. Billy sighed when he turned to Spencer. "Looks like I gotta go. See you later Spence,". "Hey, good luck with that," Spencer said. He let out a laugh, watching Denise chase after Billy. Spencer shook his head when Kia walked over to him. "So you planning on standing there all night or you going to join us? I was ready to see you showing off your moves," Kia said. Moving her shoulders and hands from side to side. Spencer let out a laugh. "Now you're just embarrassing my moves. Come on now theirs a technique to it. You gotta flow with the shoulders and let your hands follow," Spencer said. Kia laughed.