40. A Personal Vacation

The next day, I don't tell anyone because the producers already forced it out of me during confessionals. I mention Ryan in the commentary, how everybody suspected him to get it. Any warrior ranked below General, including Majors like me, are never offered a scholarship to Joffrey. They're only reserved for the already well-known, established warriors. But I broke the system somehow.

Training begins. I'm in such a good mood I don't think Frankie can ruin this day. He's undeniably annoyed that I'm this happy.

"What's gotten you so cheery?" he mocks.

"Stuff," I reply.

"Stuff, huh?" Frankie jumps off the wrestling ring with a smirk on his face. "I wouldn't be so smiley about the crap I've been hearing about your dad," he advises. "He's in real deep trouble."

I scratch the back of my head. "Frankie, it's really none of your business."

"Actually," he disagrees, "it is. I'm about to be one of the investigators in your father's case."

He's supposed to keep that secret. But right when he sees me in a good mood, he somehow has to one-up me and softly claim that he's working with the Exchurch. "How did you do that?" My tone doesn't sound like I already know.

"I've been doing some networking." Frankie boasts, probably believing he's acting humble. "Looks like I'm going to be one of the best warriors this universe has ever seen. I'm already getting job offers. Imagine that. Anything come your way?"

I ignore his question. "You're not going to build a case against my dad," I warn him.

"Don't worry," Frankie says. "Truth will come to the light. It always does."

After training, Jace sends me another urgent letter, telling me to meet him at the colosseum again for updates about my dad.

When I arrive to meet him, I'm shocked by how different the stadium looks. Like a quarantine zone, the entire colosseum is completely shielded off. A glass bubble traps the massive dome and prevents any diseases escaping from the Cluster might have left behind. Rumors say it won't be open again for a few more weeks. I have no idea where our future missions are going to take place. Maybe we won't have an audience until further notice.

I'm not sure where Jace is taking me this time, but it's not the Nightfire Stronghold. In the hovercar, we're soaring across the bridge, approaching the incoming city. End of the day traffic piles up, and we're stuck in the air for about an hour, no less.

Finally, we land at an expensive apartment complex where only the richest can live. Each room is a penthouse, I realize. On the rooftop, there's a pool, BBQ grills, and a waterslide. This evening, bright orange bulbs adorn the perimeter of the building.

We meander inside, and I follow Jace to a room on the top floor. The door is already unlocked, and we enter without permission.

It's a gorgeous apartment with two floors and a magnificent foyer carved out of wood. The living room has an electrical fireplace, and the kitchen holds glass walls displaying breathtaking views of the city. I feel lost for a moment and feel I've been teleported to another reality.

"Where are we?" I ask Jace.

My question is answered when Lily appears. She strides down the stairs wearing jeans and a tank top. "Oh," she gasps. "I was expecting we were all going to meet at the colosseum."

"It's still under quarantine," Jace says. "We can do the procedure here. You have a brain wave helmet, don't you?"

"What brain wave helmet?" I ask, alarmed.