39 - Jax

I didn't want to leave this room, this bed. I didn't want this day to ever come to an end. I just wanted it to keep going - if I had a way to put it on repeat I would have.
Everything I had ever truly wanted was within my grasp, I finally had her and I'll be damn if I'm ever going to let her go without a fight.
If you'd seen me 48 hours ago you would have sworn I was a different man - I was lost in my own self pity - I thought I was done and I was ready to give it all away. And then she showed up.
I believe a part of me knew she would find me, fuck I think a part of me wanted her too. I was ready this time, I was going to do right by her - to be the right man for her.
Right now that meant letting her sleep - we didn't get a lot of it last night - and not for the reasons I would have liked it to be - because yes that part was fucking awesome.
I watched her, fuck she was amazing. So god damn beautiful, gorgeous inside and out. She was a great Mum, an amazing daughter, she'd kept her close relationship with her brother even with so much going on in their lives, and here she was choosing me again - only difference this time - I was ready for her - ready for us.
I was angry with myself it had taken me so long to get here. I was turning 45 this year - Scar was 42 - so much time we had wasted, but we still had time.
I met my mind drift thinking of all the things we could do together, where we would go from here...

My phone started ringing, dragging me out of my day dreaming. I smiled down at the beautiful woman next to me and kissed her forehead softly. I may have even whispered I loved her before making my way over to my phone which was still consistently ringing where it sat.
I answered it without thinking twice about the unknown number that was calling me,

"Hello"

"Is she with you?"

The voice on the line was so soft, spoke so quietly and sounded so very lost it took me a moment to even realise who was calling me,

"Carson?"

"Yes, Just tell me Jackson. Is she with you?"

"I um"

"Jackson, please. I need to know. She didn't come home last night - she isn't answering her phone. Please just tell me if she's with you Jackson, tell me she is ok"

The guy sounded desperate, his voice was normal, he wasn't yelling at me or making threats. It was kind of sad.

"Yes Carson, she's here. She's sleeping at the moment. I don't even know where her phone is. I can get her to call you when she wakes up"

"Did you sleep with her Jackson?"

"Carson, I don't think we should be having this conversation"

"Jackson, my wife, MY wife, just spent the night in a hotel room with a man who has already caused so many problems in my marriage. The least you can do is tell me if you fucked my wife or not?"

"Yes. Is that what you want to hear Carson? Yes, I slept with your wife, I made love to you wife, last night and again this morning"

"Why can't you leave her alone Jackson, leave us alone, fuck - you can't keep doing this to us"

"I love her ok Carson"

"You told her you love her?"

"Yes"

"Is it true or is this just another one of your games?"

"Everything is real. I love her, I am in love with her. I want her Carson and I am absolutely 100% ready to fight for her, for us"

"Is she ready to walk away from her family, from her husband and her kids"

"They will always be her kids Carson no matter who she chooses and it is her choice"

"I'm not letting her go Jackson, I won't"

"I wouldn't expect you too"

"Enjoy it while you can. You'll fuck this up - you always do, and guess who she'll come to when she needs putting back together"

"That's kind of sad you know that right, you are her second choice. You clearly know it - she runs to you when she can't have me, well fuck Carson - I'm not
letting her go this time"

"Fuck you Jackson - I will take everything from her - I will ruin her"

"Ok Carson, I'll be sure to let her know"

I hung up the phone, hung up on him. I knew we would had a fight coming, I knew it would be hard for her, painful. I could absolutely let his words get to me, I could let him take me down, let him get under my skin and plant doubt into my brain. Instead I chose to ignore it. I pushed my sweatpants down my legs and slid by butt naked ass back in beside my gorgeous woman, wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her tight against my body, she stirred.

"You left?" Half asleep yet half awake,

"Never baby, I'm never leaving you" I whispered against her ear, she smiled softly before sinking back into slumber.