chapter 35: can i hold her now?

"Let's go on a vacation

"Let's go on a vacation." Juliette is snuggled into my chest half-asleep listening to me make idle conversation and giving soft agreeing hums or disagreeing grunts.

"Mmm sounds pretty." She says not letting her voice go above a whisper.

"Let's go to London. You can finally meet my mum and sister. You can meet Ruby and Gemmas husband. You can meet some of my best childhood mates. You'll love it there."

"That sounds pretty." She mumbles out again not really listening to me. "Do you want to go?" I ask wanting a hard answer.

"I do. I don't want to fly with a newborn, but I do. I would love to meet them all in person." Jules has talked to my mum and Gem on the phone multiple time already but that's different. Meeting them in real life is different.

"Well if we go then mum will watch Maddie and we will get alone time." I say pinching her side making her grin. When Ruby was born my mum was ecstatic about having a grand-baby. Once her baby fever died out with Rubs, she entered her "terrible twos" so mum wasn't as keen to hearing her screams. Now I have a baby, after years of complaining, and she can't be more than excited to meet the little one. "And her cousin wants to meet her, it'll be just what we need."

"That sounds like heaven."

I want my mum to see Juliette in all of her beauty and glory. She has seen many, many photos and she had heard stories about her but hearing is so different than seeing her. She radiates beauty that you just don't get over a phone.

"Lucky us, Madeline is so good, she doesn't cry tha-" I can't even finish before Madeline breaks out in tears. It is three a.m. and now I feel guilty for keeping Juliette up since she was the first one out of us to jump out of bed to get Maddie.

She quickly picked her up and cradled her into her chest, slightly bounced to calm her. "Shh it's okay my little bunny. It's okay baby. It's okay, what do you need? I wish you could just tell me darling." I get up behind her and wrap my arms around the both of them. She leans her head backwards with her eyes closed, her head just barely touched my chest. She is exhausted.

After a couple minutes of her crying, our little baby finally ceases and goes back to sleep like it was nothing. I can see Jules silently thank the fact that she had fallen asleep. She slowly puts her Madeline back into her bassinet and shuffles herself back into bed. She honestly looks like she's about to cry with how worn out she is.

I follow suite and as soon as I lay down she clings to me. I instantly wrap my fingers up in her hair and begin to massage her scalp to get her to sleep. After only moments of this, she faintly whispers out "maybe London isn't a bad idea."

*****

After flying for hours we have finally arrived in London.

We flew first class and since it is an international flight, the plane was better than what you would get when flying domestic. Jules and I had one of those "suite" seats so we had two seats blocked off with a door so we could have privacy which I preferred since we had one red eye flight and I don't like people looking at me while I sleep and I sure as hell don't like it when people stare at Jules when she sleeps.