The Price of Control

Hiccup crouched low on Toothless’ back as they flew silently through the darkness of the massive cavern, their wings barely making a sound as they navigated the labyrinth of tunnels deep within the mountain. The air was thick with the smell of damp earth and ancient stone, and the faint echoes of distant dragon roars reverberated off the walls, creating an unsettling ambiance.

They had been following The Black Dragon, Ragnot, for what felt like hours, keeping a safe distance to avoid detection. Hiccup’s heart pounded in his chest as they approached the deepest chamber of the mountain, a place where the air seemed to vibrate with a sinister energy. Toothless growled softly beneath him, his instincts warning him of the danger that lay ahead.

Hiccup’s eyes narrowed as they reached the entrance to a vast underground cavern, the largest he had ever seen. The chamber was illuminated by the eerie glow of the Dragon Stone, which Ragnot held high above his head. The Stone’s light cast long shadows across the walls, revealing the jagged edges of the rocky ceiling high above. The floor of the cavern dropped away into a seemingly bottomless pit, the edges lined with ancient carvings and symbols that hinted at the dark history of the place.

“Wake, slumbering Death. Harken unto me your power. Together we can rule them all!” Ragnot’s voice boomed through the cavern, echoing off the walls as he shouted down into the abyss. His voice was filled with a twisted fervor, his words carrying the weight of his dark ambition.

Hiccup’s breath caught in his throat as he watched Ragnot, his grip on the saddle tightening. The Black Dragon held the glowing Dragon Stone at the end of a long chain, the light from the orb pulsating with each word he spoke. The energy from the Stone seeped into the cavern, casting an unnatural glow that seemed to penetrate the very rocks themselves.

For a long moment, nothing happened. The silence was so profound that Hiccup could hear his own heartbeat pounding in his ears. Then, without warning, the entire mountain began to shake violently. Hiccup clung to the rocky wall of the alcove where they hid, his eyes widening in horror as a massive head began to rise from the depths of the pit.

The head of the dragon was unlike anything Hiccup had ever seen. It was colossal, its leathery muzzle jutting out with teeth as long as Hiccup was tall. Six eyes, three on each side of its face, blinked slowly as they adjusted to the light. The eyes appeared drooping, almost as if the creature was still half-asleep, but the menace in them was unmistakable.

The dragon’s eyes fully opened, and suddenly the cavern was filled with the thunderous sound of wings as dragons of all sizes flew in from every corner of the chamber. They dropped fish and other offerings onto a higher platform, the sound of their wings drowning out all other noise. Toothless growled softly, his body tense beneath Hiccup, ready to spring into action at any moment.

Just as Hiccup was about to retreat, a voice tore through his mind, a voice so powerful that it made him scream and clutch his head in agony. The mental shout was accompanied by a deafening roar that shook the entire mountain.

Who dares wake MEEEEE?!

The Red Death’s voice was filled with rage and ancient power, a force so overwhelming that it left Hiccup trembling. Ragnot, standing at the edge of the pit, laughed confidently despite the visible shaking of his legs.

“I, Ragnot, the Black Dragon, command you. Red Death, wake and serve!” Ragnot’s voice echoed through the cavern, his confidence wavering only slightly.

The Red Death lowered its massive head, peering down at Ragnot with an expression that was almost human in its disdain. The monstrous dragon’s voice, when it spoke again, was flat and emotionless, but the power behind it was undeniable.