Chapter 62 - Prunes and Fitted Sheets

Start from the beginning

You arch one suspicious brow at Thyra as she giggles.

"And what, young lady, did you do?" you ask with a playful tone.

"Prince Loki demanded dates with his lunch, but he gets tummy aches when he eats too much sugar and I didn't want him to feel bad so I gave him prunes instead!" she grins.

You can't help the astonished laugh that escapes your lips. You shake your head at the young girl.

"And what did my prince say to that, little one?" you ask her.

"He pretended not to notice. But I know he did," she says, playing with the hem of her skirt. "So when Prince Loki asked for the apple I wanted to make sure he got it this time. There's not too much sugar."

You find yourself overwhelmingly thankful for this kind, sweet little soul. Unsure how to properly express your gratitude for her help in delivering Loki's food while you were injured, you kneel and open your arms, inviting her into your embrace.

Thyra cocks her head at you with a curious expression, but quickly smiles and runs into you, burying her little face in your chest as you hold her tightly, stroking her hair and resting your cheek on the top of her head.

"My mama used to play with my hair," she says quietly after a moment.

You adjust and look down at the girl you hold, a sudden wave of painful, uncomfortable familiarity washing over you. Brief flashbacks to your childhood. The loneliness. 

"Honey," you say softly. "I'll play with your hair whenever you want me to."

"You will?" Thyra says, looking up at you with wide eyes.

"Of course I will," you say softly, pulling her back in closely. "My son likes it when I play with his hair too."

"He's funny," Thyra says. "He calls me Feera," she giggles.

As you kneel on the ground of the palace, holding this little girl in your arms, the part of your heart that has ached ever since Tony pulled Anthony from your arms is suddenly soothed for the first time. 

You place a light, gentle kiss on the top of the girl's head and pull back, taking both of her small hands in yours.

"You're a brave girl, Thyra," you say. "Thank you for taking care of Loki while he's sick. I know he can be a little bit scary sometimes."

Thyra simply smiles. "He's not scary. Not really. He's just sad."

You tuck a little piece of golden brown hair behind the girls ear and rise from the floor.

"Thank you for the apple Thyra. I'll take Loki his dinner tonight and make sure he knows it's from you."