Chapter 90 | eyes full of stars

--------------------> LYRA WONDERED HOW AND WHEN to bring up the topic of marriage with Lucius

--------------------> LYRA WONDERED HOW AND WHEN to bring up the topic of marriage with Lucius. Theoretically, since they were engaged, holy matrimony between them would be implied and imminent unless they broke it off. However, Lucius was still in the middle of his heir travels. However, Lyra had already made a big deal of not wanting her grandfather to be her Head of House anymore. However, in the year and a half they had been engaged, not once had they actually discussed getting married.

She didn't want to create an awkwardness between them by bringing up the topic abruptly nor did she want to make it seem like she was cornering him to marry her immediately, giving a false impression of it being an ultimatum.

Lost in her mind, she hadn't realised Lucius had returned from work until he approached her and kissed her cheek. "Hello, life," he murmured against her cheek, taking a seat beside her on the sofa. "How was your day?"

"Eventful," Lyra responded, cuddling to his side. "I didn't have any operations today, so I'm not as tired as I was yesterday."

"That's lovely to hear. I hope it continues this way."

"It won't," said Lyra, and changed the topic. "How was your day?"

"A bit boring."

Lyra tilted her head, noting the disappointment in his tone. She sat up straighter and observed his face. "Why do you look sad?"

"It's nothing big, really."

"Your feelings are big to me. What happened?"

Lucius sighed and Lyra wrapped her arms around him, patting his back. "There's this famous fort here that I wanted to visit, but it's closed for visitors. If I'd left work maybe five minutes earlier, I could have gotten in."

"You can visit it tomorrow."

"But I wanted to visit today," whined Lucius, pouting.

"Oh," said Lyra, face thoughtful. "Oh!" Her eyes lit up like constellations. "We could build our own fort here!"

"I don't think we have enough cement for that, life."

The look Lyra gave him implied that he was particularly stupid. "I meant," she ventured to clarify, "we could build our own fort here out of pillows."

"Oh." Lucius blinked. "That makes sense."

They summoned pillows and blankets from the plethora of rooms in the Manor to the parlour. Lucius placed four tall chairs in a square while Lyra used the largest bed sheet they had to spread it over the backrest of the chairs, applying sticking charms so they hold. Another chair had been fixed in the middle to resolve the hollow dip that the bed sheet had begun to form.

After that, it was only a matter of spreading blankets and comforters over the wooden floors and throwing pillows inside their fort, which in Lucius' humble opinion, was the grandest to have ever been built.