Chapter 73 | heavy is the head

----------------------> REGULUS' STEPS WERE PRONOUNCED YET HASTE, his eyes swirling with a striking resemblance to the storm that was taking place outside

----------------------> REGULUS' STEPS WERE PRONOUNCED YET HASTE, his eyes swirling with a striking resemblance to the storm that was taking place outside. The greys and darkness in his eyes reflected the turbulent tides of the sea when the tempest would swallow ships and men whole without remorse. There was also fury etched on his face and so, he was given a wide berth of space by everybody, especially those who had witnessed the same thunderous expression that had laid on his sister's face, knew to behave more cautiously whenever they spotted such rage on the face of a Black.

Regulus made a bee-line for Narcissa's room. Without bothering to knock, he simply swung the door open, abruptly announcing his presence. However, Narcissa had also studied in the same school as Lyra for five years and so, wasn't particularly surprised or startled by his intrusion.

Rather, she merely smiled while signalling with a slight inclination of her head for Leonard, who had been conversing with her, to leave. Leonard complied with her wordless command, slipping out of the room silently, understanding the need for privacy and that it was most likely a family matter while shutting the door behind him.

Narcissa's face was calm when she addressed him. "Hello, Regulus."

"This is the third time I've had to duel someone to keep my crown!" Regulus exploded immediately, not having the patience to say niceties. He briskly strolled over to where Narcissa was seated and settled down beside her, swivelling to face her. "Third time, Cissa. Third. And that is only this month. Combining how I had to duel six students in September and four in October, that would mean I've had to duel thirteen Slytherins till now and it's only November!"

"At least the numbers are decreasing." Narcissa offered placidly, ushering a glare from Regulus. That was when she took the opportunity to observe her cousin. Really observe what he was feeling in his depths rather than believe the image he projected on the surface.

With her brows bunched up, Narcissa pulled out her wand and before Regulus could come up with protests, waved it over his face, instantly causing all the very many and very heavy glamours that he had applied to fall, making Narcissa softly gasp.

He looked bloody exhausted.

Violent, violet bags were hung under his eyes while his hair was matted, tangled and unwashed. There were bruises of purple and blue littering his skin and his lips were shunned downwards. He seemed too tired to even smile.

Concern and worry instantly washed over Narcissa as she gently placed a palm on his cheek, taking care to not sting a deep, open cut that had marred his cheekbones. Regulus hissed at the contact.

"What happened to you?" Narcissa whispered.

Regulus' lips, which were split and bleeding, wavered into a weak, forced smile. "Third time, Cissa. Third time this month." He repeated.

Narcissa pursed her lips into a hard line. Mutely, she gripped her wand tightly and began to mutter healing spells, the ones that she had heard Lyra use so many times to heal simple wounds that they would receive. Narcissa sadly did not know how to heal his broken nose, his shoulder dislocation or any of the other, more serious injuries. It was times like this she wished that Lyra had never left.