Chapter 71 | capturing fleeting moments

--------------------> ORION FELT LIKE HIS FEET WERE FROZEN to the cold, marble floors of Grimmauld Place

--------------------> ORION FELT LIKE HIS FEET WERE FROZEN to the cold, marble floors of Grimmauld Place. He hadn't meant for this to happen; really. All he had wanted was a cup of tea in the early morning and so, had gotten up from his bed while taking care to not wake his wife before heading towards the stairs leading to the kitchen. Except, that required him to pass Lyra's bedroom which subsequently made him realise that he wouldn't be able to see his daughter's smiling face during breakfast. And that was how, without even realising it, Orion found himself rooted to the spot, facing the antique wooden door to Lyra's empty bedroom.

"So this is where you went."

Orion swivelled at the voice. Walburga stood behind him in her nightclothes, half-smiling.

Orion cleared his throat. "I'm sorry to have woken you."

Walburga waved him away, stepping closer until she stood right beside him before leaning her head on her husband's shoulders and looping her hand into his for warmth from the cold morning. "It's alright. I had to wake up sooner or later and while I would have admittedly preferred the later, I'm happy that I can now keep you company."

Orion remained silent at her statement, but he did wrap an arm around her, bringing Walburga closer and laying his head lightly on hers. For a minute, the two of them simply stood there, staring at the door to Lyra's bedroom.

"Everything is going to be different now, isn't it?" Orion questioned softly. "I mean, I always knew that one day, Lyra was going to move out of the house- whether if it was after she got married or for higher studies. I had even been mentally preparing myself for her disappearance from our everyday life but...." he trailed off.

"But now since she's actually gone, it's more difficult to comprehend than you expected it to be. No matter how much you had prepared yourself or expected it to be odd without her, it still feels strange because a part of you hoped that this day would never come and now that it has, it's bound to feel weird, doesn't it?" Walburga finished for him quietly.

Orion nodded his head lightly. "Indeed." He released a sigh. "I mean, I know that Lyra was at Hogwarts for the majority of the past few years and that she promised to visit during the holidays now but, it's still not the same. It doesn't feel the same. Everything is going to be so different now without her."

Walburga silently agreed with her husband and they once again descended into a comfortable, calm quietude amongst them.

However, they were parents to two young boys and so, the moment of peace obviously did not last, even though it was early in the morning.

"MUMMY!" They heard Regulus roar from downstairs. "SIRIUS CALLED KREATCHER A BAD WORD AGAIN!"

"IN MY DEFENCE," Sirius' voice yelled slowly. "THAT BLASTED, BLOODY ELF CALLED ME A BAD WORD FIRST!"

"BLASTED?! HOW DARE YOU--"

Walburga and Orion broke apart and shared an amused glance.

"Well," Orion began with a grin. "At least we know that somethings will never change."