My call to Dom disconnected, and I stared at my phone as I tried to decide if I should be worried. If I didn't see him at Bertha's, I would be at that police station like a B movie action hero. They better not arrest him!

But with  Franco arrested, I could disappear with Dom and Luis before he could set anyone on our tail. At least, I hoped so. I called Luis since I figured he'd arrived at Aisa's soon enough to grab his phone from the treehouse as I thought of this.

"I got your stuff already. Are you at Bertha's yet?" He asked me when he answered the phone.

"Not yet, but I have some news. Dom turned his dad in." I was still in shock that Dom did that for me, and it showed in the high pitch of my voice.

There was silence on the other end for a minute, then Luis said, "How do you know?"

"There are police cars at the restaurant, so I had to stop. I called him."

"Don't go near that place while the cops are there, Matt. Don't make more problems."

I rolled my eyes, "Please, Dad. I wanna get arrested. Please?"

He growled in response. I rolled my eyes again, not wanting another stormy scene when I saw him again. So, I deflected. It's my superpower. 

"Glad you grabbed my money and clothes. After we talk to Dom, I want to get us out of the city as soon as possible." 

 "You've decided to bring me along," He sounded so pleased. His tone became warmer, and I found myself comparing it to Dom's. Luis's voice was lower, with a darker tone, and he sounded more like a hot villain in an anime than a radio DJ.

"Yes, and Dom, if he wants to come." Dom had a car, which would make things convenient if he still wanted to come after everything I told him.

The ice returned, and he sounded more like an anime villain than ever.  "That's not a good idea, Matt. Do you need another demonstration of why?"

I got a shiver down my back and cursed myself for it. Yes, I would like another demonstration, please and thank you. 

No! Bad Matt! You do not!

Of course, I would simp for the villain's voice more than the DJ voice. After taking a steadying breath, I said.  "No. But I also don't want to argue with you. I made up my mind."  If he tried to argue with me again, I would hang up.

"Fine. Get to Bertha's, and don't go near Franco's until the cops leave." His voice was clipped and angry.

The line went dead, so I put away my phone, grumbling over his bossiness. Of course, I would wait until the cops left, and of course, I would stay at Bertha's. Sheesh!

I saw the cops leave after twenty minutes of waiting. Dominic followed them in his red Jaguar. That was comforting. I figured he would be okay since he wasn't being led out in handcuffs. Once they left,  I started walking again, only to find six people on motorcycles pulling into the back alleyway of the restaurant. I assumed they must be customers, so I sped up my steps to let them know that Franco's would be closed for a while. I hoped Dominic remembered to lock up.

As I entered the back alley to the restaurant, I saw my bike was there against the wall. However, I was wrong about the customers. When the frontman took off his helmet, I knew who he was.

Adrian. The mole over his full, unsmiling lips was the first thing that gave him away.

It had been four years since I last saw him. At the time, he was only thirteen and small for his age, but he had quite a growth spurt since then. I raised my head to gape at him. The scar on his sharp chin, which he'd gotten while trying to defend me the day before I abandoned him, had a gold stud pierced through it. His hair was cropped close to his skull and had shaved designs in it. He wore a pair of black running shorts that showed off his cocoa-colored, muscular legs and a red t-shirt that enhanced his tapered torso.