Chapter 8 : The Decision

Nikki

Our plan was simple; we drug Chrissy and she passes out around 9:20 and we leave her after making sure she was fine by 9:45 and get there by 10. Genius, right? Who am I kidding? I can't drug one of the people I care most about and expect everything to be okay by the time we get back. 

What if she wakes up??!! I texted to Chandler. Since Chrissy was already suspicious of Chandler, I didn't need her to hear that we were about to put her under on purpose just so we could go out and do some life-threatening battle. It's just not right!

She won't...Just let me take care of it; I have experience with this type of thing. She responded quickly. 

She's had experience? What the hell did that mean?! Did she put people under for a living when she used to live with her parents? 

She suddenly turned to me; probably thinking I was trying to decipher how she knew how to do this type of thing. I used to put myself under when my parents died because I didn't know how to fall asleep on my own. 

I gave her a sad smile and nodded.

The rest of the night was spent like this; pay attention to Chrissy whenever she commented on something in the movie, make sure her words were slurring every minute, text each other on how we leave Chrissy here, etc. 

It was finally 9:20 and Chrissy was down for the count. She had, unfortunately, fallen asleep in one of the candy bowls filled with 'Starbursts bursts' and the sticky center in the gummies were getting into her hair. With a chuckle, I lifted her head out of the bowl and set her down on one of the many pillows surrounding us. Within twenty minutes, we were heading out the back window, yes a window, to go to the event that would probably scar us for life. The reason we went out a window, was because we had to keep the doors and alarm system untouched by the time we came back. Chandler had filled me in on this new crew and apparently, they were not too friendly. They also happened to know where some of us lived and we couldn't risk anything whatsoever. Yes, we had drugged Chrissy, but that didn't mean she would stay down if an alarm happened to wake her up. If that happened, however, we would all be in some serious shit trying to explain to her why we weren't there and why someone was trying to break in. Not something we can deal with right now.

Brushing off these thoughts, Chandler and I ran back to the hideout and awaited our fellow partners. Luck was definitely not on our side today because as soon as we sat down, Amber appeared, barking orders at us. 

"Get the bags and weapons ready; something tells me this battle could get ugly if we're not careful. I did some more research on these people and found that a couple of them ave been to prison for assault." 

I stared at her in disbelief. She really expected us to battle convicts?! The Fields were a whole different thing altogether but adding convicts to that place is like adding gas to a fire. 

"We can't battle them, Amber. I mean, are you seriously going into the Fields blindy just to battle a bunch of thugs?!" Chandler spoke up. "You're over here, pissed as usual, because we don't have enough members and you want us to be put into these crazy, violent, and impossible situations?! I don't think so. I get that you want to push us to our limits to be better dancers and choreographers but seriously, we are NOT ready for this. If we go in there, we're as good as dead." She ranted on.

Amber gave Chandler a blank stare for a few minutes. In that time span, the rest of our crew showed up, ready but unwilling. But finally, Amber spoke up. "If anyone wishes to back out, say something now or you will come to battle tonight. If you do not want to risk anything, say something now!" she ordered. What happened next was shocking, even to me. Several people left without saying anything, leaving me, Chandler, and Amber alone. 

Amber blew out a defeated sigh and turned to us. "Alright you two, we have a battle to win." She started to walk ahead of us. 

"Amber, aren't you going to say it?" I stopped her with my words.

Still facing forward, she gave another sigh then turned to look at me with a sad smile. Then she said the phrase that always kept us going, "It's a beautiful day to kick some ass." That one phrase was enough to brighten our spirits and we all laughed and headed for the dreaded Fields.

We can do this.