Chapter 76 | Judas' Kiss

Start from the beginning

"You're wise beyond your years, Father," Laelia tried to keep the bite out of her voice. She didn't want pity and praise and softness.

"I messed up if you're calling me that," Marius smiled. "And I'm older than I look."

How could he still smile? How could he still be gentle? Still, curiosity won her over. "How old are you then?"

"Take a guess."

"No." Laelia sat on the small bed, tugging her knees up to her chin. She glared at the priest. "You just said you're older than I'd expect, so clearly I would guess wrong. No point in wasting time."

"Signore Steno might not have the best influence on you, little detective." Marius pulled a chair that looked like it might lose a leg any second now next to the bed. "Humour me and guess."

"I don't want to."

"And I don't want to see you drown in your thoughts. Guess. Please."

Laelia puffed her cheeks in anger. "Twenty-five and 31 days."

"That's an ... interesting guess," Marius chuckled. "No."

"Twenty-six."

"No."

"Then tell me!"

Marius could only barely keep his elegant mile from slipping into mischief. "No."

"You're older than Gio?" Laelia flinched at his name. She pushed it aside. "Twenty seven."

The priest pretended to think about it, which was ridiculous, who had to think about their age? Except perhaps immortal vampires, but they didn't exist (contrary to what people said about her uncle Vlad) and if they did, they should simply keep a little tag on a necklace with important dates. It was the only sensible thing to do.

"No."

"How old is Bishop de Valois – I mean Cardinal –"

"Call him Amand. God knows the man is arrogant enough." Despite his words, Marius looked fond. "He's twenty-nine."

"You look younger. Twenty-eight, then."

Marius' pale eyes twinkled. "That took you a bit."

Laelia wondered if the lack of colour affected his vision. His eyes were a blue so light, it reminded her of glaciers in the sun.

"You're old," she decided. "And you could have just told me."

"I have seen many people lose themselves to twists of fate. If I have to annoy you to keep you from it, I will."

Could he see the darkness, writhing and hissing beneath the fear and exhaustion? Did he know she wanted to take the shards of her heart and plunge them through the men that had taken Lorenzo?

Did he know she could?

She could find them. Antonio knew everything. She could kill a dozen with just a breath of poison.

Laelia looked down at her feet. They hurt. The shape of her stirrup seemed to have dug itself through her sole.

Perhaps her mother would be proud. The black widow and the king cobra, Bianca had said, looking up at the portrait of their mothers. The black widow... Men had vanished around her, back in Romania. Men that had asked for her hand. Powerful men. It was one of the reasons she had to marry an Italian. Laelia had never known, until Bianca had told her.

Yes, her mother would be proud. She would even help her.

"Talk to me."

Laelia looked up. In the flickering light of a dying candle, Marius looked even more striking. He had told her back in Germany people made the sign of the cross when he and his twin brother passed. They were pale because the ghosts of executed witches flew into them at birth, so they had to be white as ghosts. How silly. Though she had to admit, he was hauntingly beautiful.