Chapter 29

At some point in High School Jade was addicted to lists. She wrote lists for everything including one for the boys she liked and was done with. She would write their names down then cross them out and it would be done. Jade wouldn't reach out or do anything; she would be done for good.

Now Jade desperately needed a list. Her life needed some sort of organization or structure so she dug out an old notebook, tore out a page and she began scribbling.

1. Nigel

2. Peter

3. Damon

4. Jack

It wasn't hard for Jade to cross out Damon. She hated Damon's guts and his entitled character and all she wanted was to forget he ever existed in her world. Jade was sure Damon never wanted to see her again too so that was going to be easy.

Next on the list was Peter. He was a little hard to cross out. He was sweet but they weren't meant to be. All Jade would do was to hurt him over and over again and she couldn't do that, Peter didn't deserve that.

There were two names left. Jade knew she should probably cross out Nigel and Jade but she couldn't. So she ignored the list and acted on spontaneity dialing Jack's number in the process.

"How soon can you get here?" Jade said as soon as Jack answered.

"Twenty minutes."

It was a torturous twenty minutes. Jade kept pacing up and down wondering what she was going to say to Jack when he arrived. Why had she even called him in the first place? Was she supposed to be nice to him or dress up for him?

Jade had no idea. Currently she was dressed in sweats and her hair was hidden in a giant woolen hat. Jade didn't need anyone to tell her she didn't look very attractive.

Exactly twenty minutes later Jack arrived.

"Nice hat," was the first thing Jack said when Jade opened the door and Jade shot him a tired smile.

She stepped aside and Jack made his way into the room, making himself at home. He slumped on the bed and Jade pulled a chair from her study desk, positioning in so that she could face him.

"I wasn't sure you wanted to see me after you told me to go to hell," Jack said and Jade grimaced.

"I'm sorry," Jade replied and a soft silence hung over them.

Jade was the one to break it. "I lied," she began and Jack frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"When I promised to listen to all of your songs and I called your album pathetic? I didn't mean it. It was wrong and selfish of me to lie to you like that. I am sorry."

Jack was stunned. Never in his life had he heard Jade apologize for anything. He thought of making it a joke but he could see her serious face. She looked sincere.

"I am sorry too for everything I put you through. You didn't deserve that at all. You deserved and deserve better," Jack replied sitting up and Jade offered him a soft smile feeling slightly lighter.

"I don't mean to sound unappreciative but why now. Why are you apologizing all of a sudden?" Jack asked quietly hoping he didn't offend Jade.

"I messed up pretty bad. I dug myself into this whole. Instead of getting out when the hole was still pretty shallow, I burrowed myself further and I have hurt a lot of people. I lost my friends, I lost someone I deeply care about and I lost myself. I just..." Jade trailed off and blinked back tears that threatened to spill.

"I want to make things right. Starting with you because my life started spiraling after you," Jade continued and Jack smiled reaching forward to hold Jade's hand.

"You'll figure things out. I know you will. And yes, I forgive you for the dangerous 9.99 out of 10 comment. It's all water under the bridge," Jack said making Jade heat up in shame.

Never in a million years had she ever thought Jack would hear. But how could he not? Her comment had trended and Jack must have found out somehow. Jade felt horrible.

"I didn't mean it," Jade whispered and Jack grinned.

"Oh, I know you didn't. I have received positive reviews from a lot of girls," Jack replied cockily and Jade rolled her eyes even though she was laughing. "I have improved on my kissing though. There's this girl, Mandy. Well she taught-"

Jade shut his mouth with a smile.

"I don't need to hear about that," Jade replied with a smile.

Jack raised his hand in mock surrender.

"You could check out my technique though, it's on," Jack went on pouting his lips and Jade laughed pushing his face away.

"No thank you. I am happy for you though," Jade said with a grin.

"I love you Jade, you know, that right? You were not just my girlfriend, you were my best friend and my biggest cheerleader. I don't want to lose you. Let's be friends," Jack said and Jade nodded.

"I love you too and we should definitely be friends again. My life was a little dull without a daily dosage of your cockiness," Jade replied and Jack pulled her into a hug.

Later, when Jack had left, Jade followed through on her promise and she listened to every one of Jack's songs. They were meaningful and thoughtful. Jack made her sound like an angel and Jade loved him for that.

She picked up her list from her bedside and she crossed out Jack's name. Finally, she had the closure she needed. Romantically, she was done with him and that made him feel so much lighter.

Now she needed to deal with Nigel, Lara and Nevaeh. She needed to make peace with them.