Chapter 33-The King's Heart

As we continued looking, I couldn’t bear to look at him. I could barely breathe and it wasn’t from the situation he got himself into or the thought of losing my brother, it was the stench of the wound on his arm. It was the foul smell of rotting flesh and dead skin, not to mention poisonous blood that may or may not be eroding his skin down to the bone.

I snuck in through the back entrance that Jordan had carved out all that time ago and turned around to see Jordan still standing there outside the gate. I waved m hand hurriedly for him to come inside but he just shook his head and smiled.

“It won’t let me in, that means it’s time…”

“Jordan?”

I watched worriedly as he moved around to the front gate where the supernatural creatures quickly took sight of him and ran at him full speed. What scared me the most was that Jordan wasn’t moving, he just stood there like he was waiting to die and that’s when it hit me…he wanted to die…this was his end…

“Jordan!” I ran out to him but Zayn quickly ran at me and pulled me back before any creatures could lay a finger on me.

Harry ran past us and as the creatures backed away, they revealed Jordan on the ground. Harry lifted him up and disappeared in a matter of seconds. I started balling my eyes out and I collapsed into Zayn’s arms as my body became weak and helpless.

“Zayn! I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe!”

He shushed me and held me closer, my head rested against his firm chest and tears continued to stream down my face, marking my face in red splotches.

“Zayn…”

Thoughts raced around my head and I had no idea what was going on, I felt like my emotions were an entirely different human being that was trying to strangle me. I felt like my brain was melting into my skull and I felt like my heart was going to fly out of my chest.

“Lily, listen to me, everything will be fine. Harry is taking Jordan to the hospital and I am going to keep you safe. Look at me, Lily, look at me.”

I looked up at him, into those familiar brown eyes and I couldn’t help myself…in a moment of weakness…a moment of need…I kissed him.

Unlike the last time we kissed, which was ridged and uncomfortable, this one was soft and delicate, strange I felt for a personality like his. Perhaps the last time was so uncomfortable because he forced it on me and I didn’t kiss him back?

This time however…I betrayed Harry because this time, I kissed him. He snaked his hand around to the back of my neck and gently placed my hands on his chest before sliding them over to tightly hold the back of his neck.

When we broke, we looked at each other strangely, like it felt…right…almost. Of course, I knew one kiss wouldn’t sway me from Harry but still…it felt weird…like it was meant to be in a way.

“Do you feel that?” He asked softly.

I nodded and heard a vampire gasp back at the border. Oh no…I forgot that they were watching the whole thing. It was obvious they were going to scream it out to Harry as soon as he arrived but I continued to look at Zayn straight in the eyes.

“You guys okay?” A voice behind us asked and I immediately turned around and saw Harry looking at us with a half worried, half suspicious look on his face.

“Jordan, is he-” I began but Harry cut me off.

“He’ll be fine, he’s asleep in the hospital he should wake up in a few…”

“Minutes?”

“Hours, honey.”

“Thank you, Harry, so much.” I placed my hand gently on his shoulder and headed to the house before sitting against my door and thinking over what I had just done.

“Did something happen?” Harry asked, stepping forward until he was standing directly in front of Zayn.

“Like what?” Zayn asked nonchalantly.

“I don’t know, you two were acting strange…different.”

“She almost lost her brother, what do you expect?” Zayn began to move away and Harry watched him distrustfully.

“Zayn…”

He turned around to see Harry’s face full of discomfort and confusion. He may have had no idea what had just happened but he wasn’t stupid and he knew something went on, he just wasn’t sure what exactly.

“She’s not Lillianne, if I find out you did anything to her, I will be sure to rip your head off of your shoulders myself.” Harry warned.

Zayn simply smirked and paused for a second before inhaling deeply and then pausing again.

“I should be so lucky…”