Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Explanations

Angel walked past us and into my house. I made my way out of Liam’s hold. “I’ll see you on Monday, Liam,” I told him, turning and heading into the darkness. I went to the one place that seemed perfect for me. The tree to where I first kissed Dante. I slid down the tree and pulled my knees up to my chest. I rested my head upon my knees and sobbed quietly. 

I heard someone’s footsteps in front of me. I looked up expecting Liam. It wasn’t him, it was his brother. “Dante,” I whispered. He stepped forward and plopped down next to me on the grass. I turned and rested my head on his chest. I felt his arms wrap around me. I might as well glamour the moment while it lasted. As soon as he found out she was back, he would be gone again. This hurt more than him with other girls. He actually had someone he called his. He was in love with her. Maybe that’s why he couldn’t be with me. Maybe his whole denying me was because he actually did love someone else.

I felt him shake his head. He was about to speak when my phone buzzed. “Take it,” he whispered. It was a text from Liam.

LIAM: IF YOU’RE WITH DANTE, I UNDERSTAND. WE’LL TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING LATER.

I placed my phone on the grass and looked up at Dante. “What were you about to say,” I asked, trying in my full power not to throw myself at him. 

“I was about to say that you were wrong,” he said quietly.

“What do you mean,” I asked, my voice shaky.

“You have a power, Blake. I don’t know what it is but I know it’s there. I, also, have a power. I can’t read minds, but I do sense the general idea.” He paused and I looked away. I played with the hem of my dress. He grabbed my chin and tilted it up so I looked in his eye. “I know that everything has been difficult for us. But I also know that the only person I love is you.”

I closed my eyes, trying not to let his words soak in. “Open your eyes,” he said. I didn’t. “Why,” I whispered. I felt his finger move alongside my face. “So I can kiss you,” he said softly. My eyes snapped open. He started to lean in.

I shook my head frantically. “No,” I whispered. “No, you don’t mean it.” I closed my eyes again. I felt his hands at the bottom of my back; he rested my body down on the soft grass. I didn’t fight him. I felt something beside of me. I opened my eyes and saw Dante’s face inches from mine; he had his elbow perched on the grass. I knew I would pay for it later. But, I grabbed the collar of his T-shirt and pulled him closer. His lips found mine in urgency. His kisses were long and hard. I pulled him on top of me and his kisses grew more intense. His hands grazed against my waist. Suddenly, I was on top of him. He smiled against my lips. My only thought was him. How much I loved him and how much it would hurt when he was gone.

“Would you stop thinking like that,” he whispered against my lips. I, then, buried my head in the ape of his neck. “I’m here with you, Blake-Lynn. Do not think about when we have to separate. Can you please just live for right now?”

I frowned against his chest. “But, why do you have to leave,” I said, my voice sad.

“Please don’t do this,” he said, sitting up. I followed his suit.

“I have to, because you are going to leave, you always do.”

He shook his head. “I’ve been blocking you out for one reason, Blake. You’re safety. Liam thinks that I push you away because I’m afraid that the cycle will end up in my death. But, that’s not the truth. The truth is if I were to acknowledge your presence there is a chance you may be the one dying. I could live with me not existing, but a world without you wouldn’t be much of a world.”