Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Twice the Celebration

When I was done with the student council speech I wrote, I flew into the arms of Liam. He chuckled against my hair while hugging me tight. “I told you that it would be okay, Blake-Lynn.”

I smiled, looking up at him. I was about to kiss him when Dante approached. “I need a ride home, Liam,” he said, his voice flat.

Liam nodded, but kissed me quickly once. He laced our hands and walked to the school parking lot. “You guys don’t live here, either,” I asked curiously. Usually when students attended Blake High, it also became their home. My family just got special privileges. 

Liam shook his head. “Like you, we get special treatment.” I laughed. I slid in the backseat of Liam’s car while Dante and Liam sat up front. To sum up the car ride in one word: awkward. No music was playing and the boys did not speak. The tension was so thick; I didn’t think anything could cut through it. As soon as the car stopped Dante was out. 

I got out of the car slowly. “You mind if I take a really quick shower before we go to your house,” Liam asked cautiously. I shook my head. He scooped me up off the ground and slung me over his shoulders, while running into his house. From the outside it was just as glorious as mine, it was the same inside. I didn’t see much, the fact that Liam was running and my head was upside down. He laid me down on his bed once we got up the stairs. He followed. I smiled, playing with his hair on the ape of his neck. I motioned for him to kiss me, and he did. His lips folded with mine, but I wanted more. My lips separated from his and I kissed along until they got to his neck. “I have to take a shower,” he faintly whispered. 

I smiled and released him. “I’ll be back as soon as possible,” he told me, closing the door behind him. Seconds later there was a knock on the door and I knew exactly who it would be. The door opened to reveal Dante. “I’m just looking for my shirt,” he said, avoiding my face. I sighed, and then he looked at me. “What?” he snapped.

I shrugged. “Nothing,” I said calmly. He continued to look around but I knew he wouldn’t find anything. “Guess it’s not in here,” he mumbled, scratching his head. He took his time to get to the door.

“If you have something to say to me, then just say it,” I said, closing my eyes.

“Fine,” he huffed. “I do have something to say, Blake-Lynn. Liam, he's not the one for you-“

I interrupted him. “What? And you are?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know, but Liam, he’s not. He can’t make you happy. You need someone that when they say your name there are butterflies in your stomach or a lump in your throat when you try to speak. You can’t truly be in love with someone when they can’t give those feelings.”

I sighed. “Dante, Liam loves me. I don’t know how to explain. I love him. He’s willing to love me for who I am. No one else is.”

He snorted. “How about me, Blake-Lynn?”

I laughed, though I found nothing funny. “Seriously, Dante? You? You have a different girl on your arm every time I blink. You are incapable of loving. And loving is what I need. Apparently you can’t give me that nor do you want to.”

Liam walked in and both of our eyes darted to him. “What’s going on here,” he asked warily, almost as if he really didn’t want to hear it.

Dante didn’t speak so I did. “Dante was looking for a shirt and then he wanted to talk. That’s it,” I said.

Liam smiled, relieved. I took in his appearance for the first time. He wore a pair of blue jeans, nothing else. His chest was exposed and I took a moment to take it in. He was muscular all over. I bit my lip. Dante was wrong because right now there were butterflies everywhere. Liam noticed my gaze and he grinned. “Like what you see, Blakey?”