A New Era Begins

Previously on In the End... 

Chloe began to tear up for once. She sat on her knees and cried into her arms on Adrien's bed. "Why did you choose me after what I did to you?" the past had caught up to her. All of those times she had bullied Marinette so that she felt superior was just because she was insecure about herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She felt herself floating in an endless gray void. From the unseen, she heard singing and soft words spoken to her. She felt herself getting set free. As if someone had unlocked the invisible chains around her wrists and ankles. She didn't feel held back. And her weariness died down into nothing.

What was happening?

The singing grew louder.

She placed her hands over her ears. 'Too much..' she thought.

And it stopped.

She noticed the black of her skin peel off. It frightened her. As the black peeled off, streaks of light made the dull void become an endless white space. She wasn't falling. She didn't need to fearful.

So her friends really cared? She knew she was crying, but felt nothing. Eventually, she needed to forgive everyone before hatred took over her life. Then again, she needed time to recover. Yes, she'd talk with them or have a laugh or two.

Life never was about pain. Rather a journey. There's no destination really.

She closed her eyes. Her tears rising from her face.

She felt her back hit something soft.

She laid on a bed fit for a princess. The embroidery of the pillows reminded her of her mother's fancy pillows she stored away. And a few blankets which were a mix of white and pale pink stacked to ensure warmth.

She found herself in a light pink dress with her special designs of flowers near the ends of her dress which ended at her calves ever so slightly. The dress's straps fell over her shoulders. And the cloth itself was soft and silky. It was plain and simple. She smiled slightly. No shoes? She laughed. The feeling of no more pain. The freedom. Nothing could replace that.

The floating bed landed on soft green grass in a place she assumed was the afterlife. She didn't feel dead. The black was gone from her beautiful skin. She sat up and put her legs down to touch the grass.

Whatever this place was, it was calm. It was peaceful.

Around her, all of the kwamis appeared. They cheered, which startled the girl slightly. Their singing had worked and she was alive! Their little childish-sounding cheers died down as Tikki and Plagg floated forward.

Marinette smiled as she held out her hands for them to sit on.

Both politely accepted.

"Are all of you the reason why I'm still here?" she asked softly.

They all nodded. They gave her compliments which made her blush.

"You're beautiful!"

"It was so worth it saving her!"

"She's so nice!"

More cheers erupted from them.

Tikki hugged her cheek.

The bluenette giggled. "Thank you. Am I able to return to reality?" she kept holding Tikki and Plagg. They both nodded.