47. A Little Entertainment

Dinner turned into an interesting event. We shared a table with Dan, Katherine, Matt, and regrettably Regina. Dom still hadn't shown yet, and I was getting pissed that he was late for this. Family was the most important thing in this business, and if you didn't prove that, you became untrustworthy. At least Jaden was sitting quietly at my side while irrelevant conversation played out in front of her. I'd spoken with Dan and Matt to make sure business was left out of the conversation. I didn't need Jaden picking up on anything she need not worry about.

"So Jaden," Regina called out from across the table. "Where did you get your hair color done?" she asked. "I've been dying to get that color for years."

Jaden cleared her throat before answering. "Genetics Salon and Spa," she said, and everyone around the table immediately chuckled, myself included.

Smartass.

Regina looked confused. "Darren, is that downtown?" she asked me.

I scoffed, trying my best to curb my laughter. "Jaden is a natural redhead, Regina."

"Oh... well she could have just said that," she replied quietly and went back to picking at her salad.

"Where're my brothers at!" came a loud, obnoxious voice off in the distance. I didn't even need to turn around to know Dominic had finally arrived.

"Here, Dom," Dan yelled, waving at him.

I could hear Dom making his way over to our table, and for some reason, I felt myself cringe. He was going to fuck this up somehow; I just knew it.

"What's going on, family?" he said enthusiastically. I looked up at him to find a tall young woman with long, dark brown hair and full pink lips clinging to his arm. She looked as though she were a piece of candy stuck to his sleeve.

"Dominic, nice of you to finally show up," I admonished him.

He gave me that signature look he always does when he blows off my scolding.

"What? I had business to take care of," he said, taking a seat while the brunette sat down next to him. I knew exactly what he meant by "business."

Looking over his date, I recognized her immediately. She'd been one of the slaves in the bi-weekly auctions from the beginning of the year. She didn't sell due to her height, so we sent her to Dom in Vegas. Obviously, he found a purpose for her after all. She took one look at me, and the fear of recognition instantly lit up. Luckily for her, she'd only ever have to see me once, but once was enough for most of them.

"Holy shit, is this her?" Dom asked, pointing at Jaden.

I nodded. "Jaden, this is my youngest brother, Dominic. Dominic, this is Jaden."

Jaden gave Dominic a small nod, and he just smiled.

"Damn, you picked a good one, brother. Boris wasn't lying!"

Speaking of Boris...

I recently discovered his family had pulled him off life support a few weeks ago. Edmund had apparently appeared at the funeral wearing a black hand prosthetic. The thought had me grinning inside.

With Dominic happily steering the conversation to his latest venture to Tijuana, my eyes fell to Jaden, noticing how often she avoided making eye contact with anyone, including myself. She was quiet until she was spoken to, and it was rare. I wasn't that surprised she wasn't met with more conversation considering they were more afraid of my reaction to their questions than Jaden's response. But the one person who didn't sense the warning was the one person I wanted Jaden to have the least amount of interaction with – Regina. I was afraid at one point Jaden was going to leap across the table and strangle Regina herself. I might have actually allowed the entertainment. I'd never seen Jaden so annoyed in my life.