Keep Breathing Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Babe, we need to sit down!" Meredith said softly and held her daughter's hand.

"Mom, what's wrong?" She said nervously.

"So you remember Dad was driving back to Washington when he left?" Meredith asked.

"Yeah?" She nodded her head.

"He was driving and he was in a car accident. He didn't make it out of surgery, they missed a head ct and he was bleeding into his chest. He died Mia, I'm sorry baby, but Dad is dead." Meredith cried.

"No. He's not. He's coming home, right?" Meredith shook her head as her daughter paced around the room.

"Oh my God, no!" Amelia and Maggie sobbed.

"I just saw him the other day, why did this happen?" Amelia and everyone were crying on the couch except for Mia.

Mia POV:

Mia POV:

I can't even breathe right now. Thank you, God. Thanks for ripping out the person that I loved more than anything, besides Mom. I want to throw up. I don't even know how Mom is handling this. Why him? No, I can't lose him, please! He can't leave me! I can't function without him here. Why does God do this? He likes to rip apart your world without warning, without reason. What was the reason? Why did you take him from us so soon?

He's not here anymore, he's dead. My dad is gone. I need him. I won't live without him, he's my dad. I didn't even get to see him. I didn't get to say goodbye. I'm only eighteen. I am trying to be strong for Mom, but I'm going crazy. She's lying, right? She's joking about this? The universe is screwing with me right now! I was waiting for him to come home. All I wanted was for him to come home, more than anything in the world.

Author POV:

She runs to the bathroom as fast as she can and empties her stomach. Meredith holds her hair for her and rubs her back. "I'm sorry," Mia said softly. "Shhh, it's alright baby. I'm here!" Meredith said as she embraced her.

Maggie and Amelia stood at the door. "So what are we going to do? He's gone!" Amelia cried. "I have no idea," Maggie shook her head in frustration.

"Come sleep with me, I'll cuddle with you," Meredith said and held Mia's hand tightly.

She was laying on the cold bathroom floor. It felt nice on her back. "He isn't dead, he's coming home. He's gonna be here soon!" She was gazing at the fan on the ceiling above. Meredith was quiet and concerned about her state.

"You're joking, right? He's not dead, he can't be dead." Mia had no emotion and kept staring at the ceiling.

Meredith picked her up and laid her down on the bed beside her. She fell asleep within a few minutes.

Meredith POV:

Derek! Derek is gone. I'm usually not full of emotions like this. I'm usually dark and twisty, but now my love is gone. My one love, my soulmate, my husband? Dead. I cry and I cry until I can't anymore. I have to tell Zola and Bailey in the morning. I have to give them the worst news of their lives. I wish that doctor was dead. He took my everything away. Derek was everything, always. He and the kids meant the world to me, I loved them more than anything and this doctor screwed it all up! God please, I would do anything to get him back. I can't do this without him. We were supposed to have our lifetime together, we're Meredith and Derek. I didn't know he'd been taken from us so soon.

My beautiful angel is sleeping next to me and she can't believe it either. I think I'm gonna have her home for a while because I know she needs time. She tries to be as open with me as she can, but she bottles up her emotions. Derek was the one that could always get through to her. he always took care of us. Now we have nobody. They have to grow up without their father and I'm a widow. A widow, I can't even bring myself to say the word. Derek if you're watching me, I just wanna say that I love you. I don't know how we're gonna do it, but I'll do it. I'll try my best to take care of our kids. No! I can't do it! Damn it, I need you. Why did you have to die? I can't live without you! If you die, I die! You can't leave me, please! I continue crying again and head off to bed.

The five stages of grief, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with the one we lost. They are tools to help us frame and identify what we may be feeling. But they are not stopped on some linear timeline in grief.

The End.

Aaliyah