[ 51 ] lacrosse game from hell

LACROSSE GAME FROM HELL

"WHAT TRIGGERED IT?"

Aspen's head snapped up from where she was staring at a spot on the floor, her eyes meeting with Morell's.

"Triggered what?." Aspen shrugged, tearing at the beds of her fingernails.

"Your voice," said Morell, "what was your trigger?"

Aspen sighed, now staring up at the ceiling, wishing she could be anywhere else. Everyone who was at the sheriff station last night were forced to attend sessions with the guidence councillor, much to Aspen's dismay because she wasn't Morell's biggest fan. She was too blunt and insensitive for her liking.

"You see, I could've sworn there was this- this boy," Aspen said dramatically and sarcastically, "brown hair, round glasses, and he just went 'expecto patronum' on me and suddenly I could talk."

"It's nice to see you didn't lose your knack for sarcasm, Aspen." Morell cleared her throat, "But now is not the time to be making Harry Potter jokes."

"Fine." Aspen sighed, kicking up one leg over the other in her seat. "But it's gonna sound like I've been on meth or something."

Morell didn't comment, waiting for her to explain.

"It was a hallucination I guess." she spoke, "super trippy."

"A hallucination..."

"Yes, a hallucination."

"Of what?"

"My dead brother." Aspen said weirdly chipper and honest. Morell leant back in her seat with her hands clasped, like she was digesting the revelation. "Morbid, right?"

"Right..." Morell said, sort of awkwardly, "How about we move on to why you're here."

"You're the one that asked." Aspen muttered under her breath.

"This whole situation with Matt Daehler... how does it make you feel?"

"Gives me the heebie-jeebies if I'm being honest with you, Miss Morell." Aspen sighed, "I mean sure, drowning is a miserable death. But the guy was a complete psychopath. Killing all those innocent people? I mean, wasn't it just a bit of karma?"

"So you don't feel any remorse for him?"

"No, frankly, I don't." Aspen admitted, "I feel remorse for the innocent people he killed."

"Huh, interesting." Morell said, writing something down, peaking Aspen's interest.

"You better not be writing down that I'm some sociopath who doesn't know how to experience guilt or remorce." Aspen said, leaning back in her chair. "Don't expect me to mourn somebody who killed people for fun."

"I don't think you're a sociopath, Aspen."

"Really?" she questioned, "What are you writing then?"

"Nothing important." Morell brushed it off, "I have a lot more students to see today, but well done on finding your voice, I'm proud of you." she added, standing up and going to open the door for Aspen.

"I thought these sessions were supposed to be twenty minutes? It's only been..." Aspen went to check her phone, "six."

"I'm running on a tight schedule." was all Morell said, before excusing Aspen from her office.

Once Aspen was out in the school corridor, Morell having literally shut the door on her, she muttered under her breath,

"Never liked that woman."