[ 19 ] an escape

an escape

ASPEN hadn't said two words other than 'I think it recognised me'. Stiles, having made the art deduction that by 'it', she meant the alpha, was fucking scared. Nothing good could come from the fact that the Alpha recognised Aspen. Well, other than the fact that it might have saved her life tonight. How, was the only question on his mind and hers. But as the pair of them individually pondered on any possibilities, they both came up blank.

The brunette was hardly blinking, her eyes fixated straight ahead of her where Jackson appeared to be approaching. She didn't miss the way Stiles let out an irritated grunt, but she also didn't give a shit either. After what's gone down between them, he had no right to be so resentful towards Jackson all the time. Especially considering he easily could've run away tonight, leaving Aspen behind, hell, she even begged him to do so. But he refused to leave her.

"Asp, you alright?" Jackson fretted as he crouched in front of her slightly.

"Yeah, J, I'm alright." she spoke quietly. She also didn't miss the way Stiles tensed up when she smiled at the Whittemore boy.

"Do you need me to take you home?" Jackson offered.

"I have that handled." Stiles intervened, awfully possessive all of a sudden. Aspen pinched her brows at him, not recalling a conversation where they had agreed he would take her home.

"No you don't." she said calmly and through a shaky whisper.

"Listen, I know we're not exactly in a great place right now, but are you seriously not going to let me drive you home?" Stiles replied, turning his frame to face her. "I mean, is he even fit to drive?"

"Stiles." she stopped him. "Thank you for checking I was okay."

"Of course." he said, confused. "Now, come on, I'll take you home."

"I think I should let Jackson give me a ride." she sighed, not meeting his eyes.

It had only been a week.

"This doesn't change what I said last week." she finished. Stiles gulped and pursed his lips. It was foolish of him to think that just because she let him hug her for a moment or two that things were fine.

Without any more words being spoke, Aspen released herself from the blanket she was wrapped in and walked with Jackson to his car, leaving Stiles all by his lonesome.

He knew he had fucked up big time, and seeing her cozy up to Jackson even more was the consequence he was paying.

"You handled that like a champ." said Jackson, wrapping an arm around the brunettes shoulder.

Aspen filled him in on what went down between her and Stiles, every last humiliating detail. His response consisted of "his loss" and "looking for a rebound?". Of course, she declined the latter, seeing as he was still dating the Martin girl, despite both of them knowing that she wasn't the one he had feelings for.

"Thanks, J." she said in a hoarse voice. Jackson opened the car door to his porche, signalling for Aspen to sit in the passengers seat.

"What about Lydia?" Aspen asked, seeing as he had driven her here.

"She's getting a ride home with her mom, seeing as she was super shaken up."

"Jackson?" she spoke once they were buckled up in his porche. He turned his neck to face her, nodding in answer. "I don't want to go home." she added.

"Then where am I taking you, Miss Carter." he teased, smiling at her. She hesitated and let out a huge sigh, brushing away the loose hairs in front of her face. "Actually, I know exactly what you need." he answered for her, pushing his foot on the gas.