[ 7 ] blending in

BLENDING IN

ONCE Aspen and Stiles had arrived at the party venue, Aspen cursed herself for feeling bitter about how Stiles' face seemed to beam once he realised the house they were at. She only prayed they would be so preoccupied with making sure their best friend didn't rip everyone to shreds that he wouldn't have the time to drool over the strawberry blonde host.

The pair of them made their way out to the pool area, trying their very best to blend in, which meant either red plastic cups in hand, or dancing to the loud music. Figuring that keeping an eye on the new-turned werewolf would be a much harder job if under the influence, the two opted for the dancing option.

"This is ridiculous." Stiles muttered as Aspen grabbed his wrist and dragged him to where all the other drunken teenagers were dancing.

"We have to blend in, Stiles. Now dance." said the brunette, looking up at the boy in front of her. The Stilinski boy awkwardly wagged his arms around with no rhythm or beat whatsoever, making the Carter girl let out a series of chuckles to which he frowned at.

"What? You told me to dance." he said defensively, the brunette in front of him simply returned with a smirk on her face. "What? What is that look for?"

"Nothing." She said, but his eyebrows only rose in expectancy of an answer. "Fine, just... just follow me lead, okay?" she continued. She confidently places her palms on his shoulders, and he hesitantly placed his on the girls hips. While his face was turning a bright red, Aspen's grin simply grew as she didn't take her eyes off of his. They were dancing in rhythm, their bodies reasonably close to one another, and for that tiny moment they shared, Aspen forgot the reason she was truly here. Her heart was racing due to the butterflies she was feeling. They were just two teenagers dancing at a party, one of them completely oblivious of the other's feelings.

"See? Now you're dancing." Aspen said smiling up at him, Stiles couldn't help but return it.

This is the most intimate we've ever been, Aspen thought.

But their intimate moment was cut short when Aspen noticed that Stiles' gaze was no longer on her, but at something behind her.

Or make that someone.

Aspen turned over her shoulder to see a certain strawberry blonde making out with a certain lacrosse captain, and her heart sank realising that in this moment, Stiles was thinking about Lydia Martin, not her. She was quite literally right in front of him, and it still wasn't enough to get his attention.

Aspen only watched for a few seconds, but seeing Jackson up against the wall with Lydia like that sent flashbacks running through her mind from when that was her against the wall with him. It was two months ago and has never been discussed since. The momentary lust she felt for Jackson in her bedroom that day was nothing compared to the permanent love she has felt for Stiles for so many years.

"Why are you staring?" said Stiles, snapping Aspen out of her flashback, her neck turning back so she was facing the boy in front of her.

"What?" she asked without hesitation.

"You heard me, Carter. I mean I get why I'm staring, but how come you were too?" Stiles pressed further.

Aspen racked her brain desperately to come up with an answer that didn't sound either jealous or that would reveal what happened between her and Jackson this summer, but she came up blank.

"Are you into Jackson or something?" Stiles asked.

"What?! No!" she dismissed very quickly.

"Okay, so who are you into?" Stiles asked further, not realising the affects his words had on the girl's heart rate. Aspen stared up at him blank. "I mean, I like Lydia, Scott likes Allison, there's gotta be someone for you, right?" he said, his smile beaming.