[ 18 ] smoke screen

smoke screen

"You love me?" Stiles' quiet voice shook.

"Yes, but you don't feel the same and thats fine, let's just forget this ever happened, okay?"

"I don't want to forget." he objected."I've always loved you, Aspen, the whole time!" Stiles confessed, striding towards the brunette. "You've always loved me, and I've always loved you."

"But... but what about Lydia?" Aspen gasped as her stomach fluttered.

"What about her? I only said all those things because I never thought you'd feel the same. I was preserving my own dignity, Asp. But now I know how you feel about me, I can finally tell you I feel the same." Stiles replied with an elated expression.

"You do?"

"I do." He whispered. He took his hand and held her cheek, gazing into her emerald eyes. "I love you, Aspen. I'm in love with you."

Stiles didn't wait for a response before crashing his lips onto hers. Her whole body tingled, his tall frame leaning on hers as his hands intertwined in her hair. He pulled her in, claiming her mouth, hungry and intense, full of the purest passion. By the time Aspen became aware of her fingers, they had already slipped under his shirt. As if time had sopped right there, they stood in the middle of the teenage boy's bedroom, glued to one another. As if no one else existed. She came up for air as her pulse raced.

"Is this real? Is this really happening?" she whispered as she wore the purest smile imaginable.

Stiles hesitated at the question as his eyes locked with hers. The sincere, pure, and love-filled expression soon fell to a devious smirk.

And then he laughed.

"Of course not." he said, his voice taunting. "Like any of this would ever be real."

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Aspen gasped herself awake at the sound of her alarm. Her heart was still racing from the dream she had awoken from. She was suddenly overwhelmed with crushing sadness when she realised it wasn't real.

Of course it wasn't real.

Her subconscious had been toying with her for a week now, giving her torturing dreams every night since her fight with Stiles. Each dream would be a different version of how it went down. Some of them good, some of them bad, but the good ones would always end the same. Aspen would always say "is this really happening?" followed by Stiles answering with "Of course not."

The last week had been hard on her, that's for sure. She'd walk past the boy she loved in the hallway and act like he was a stranger. She avoided his eyes because she knew his were always on her, and she hadn't looked him in the eye since their last conversation.

As for Scott, he completely understood. The two of them would talk on the phone every night and Scott would fill her in on all of the werewolf updates. But Stiles' name never came up. Aspen wanted to ask about him, she wanted to ask if he missed her, how he was doing, but she kept the questions to herself. Scott had questions too, he wanted to know she was holding up, how much space she was going to need, but again, he kept them to himself. Their discussions only ever consisted of supernatural updates and complaints about Harris' chemistry homework.

It was sad really, almost like Stiles didn't exist.

...

"So Derek isn't the alpha." Stiles said to Scott as he grabbed his chemistry textbook from his locker.