[ 37 ] you could say the ice was thawing

YOU COULD SAY THE ICE WAS THAWING

            THE NEXT MORNING, Stiles was the one to wake up first, surprised to find the purple-haired girl cradled in the nook of his shoulder, his arms wrapped around her small frame.

He didn't move out of fear of waking her too soon. The two of them had to be at school in half an hour, so she would need to wake up soon.

Stiles pondered on the events of last night, from finding Lydia and getting her to safety, to blasting Yellow in the jeep while Aspen let herself feel free for a short moment, to watching Love Rosie, to their late-night heart to heart.

The truth is that neither of them knew what was going on between them. They weren't together due to current complications, but they were more than friends at this point.

But that morning, as Stiles watched Aspen asleep in his arms, he felt like he was at the peak of his existence. Because he messed up big time, he hurt her even if it was unintentionally. The fact that she had forgiven him this quickly was beyond his ability to comprehend, but he was more grateful for the second chance than words would be able to express.

But Aspen Carter doesn't give out third chances, which meant he had to make this one count.

The buzzcut boy was snapped out of his inner thoughts by Aspen's subtle movements, along with a morning groan.

Her eyes remained closed as she stretched her arms out, followed by her legs. When her legs met another pair, thats when her eyes snapped open.

"Morning." Stiles greeted in his morning voice, not even trying to hide the wide smile on his lips.

Aspen was about to question how they got in such a position, she didn't remember falling asleep so... intimately, but she kept her inquiry to herself. After all, she wasn't complaining.

"Hey." her voice was croaky and sleepy.

As much as Stiles wanted to stay there all day, curled up in his bed with her company, the pair of them had places to be.

School.

"We should probably, like... get ready." he says hesitantly, wanting to do nothing more than the opposite.

"Yeah, I'll go get dressed in the bathroom." Aspen spoke, slowly dragging her body out of the sheets.

Once she was out of bed and scuttling over to the bathroom, Stiles let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding. He just woke up with Aspen in his arms, and knowing them, they'll pretend it was nothing.

But it wasn't nothing. Aspen still has feelings for him, and now he was reciprocating them. But they still couldn't figure things out.