➵ shores of valinor

They reach Valinor in the time of three more days, unloading goods and materials for the elves living there as they arrive.

Although it is none of their duties, Legolas, Gimli and Ulvinowyn help to carry their loads to land. Somehow, they still feel as if they are to serve Shfashara, the home they were never part of nor may ever see again.

When they finish, they pack up the ship to leave. Elu approaches Legolas in the sunlight and speaks to him alone.

"Not many decide to return to their past homes after living in such peace," he murmurs. "I wish to hear the truth in your answer so that I know it. Are you to stay here forever?"

Legolas smiles and places his hand on Elu's neck as he does with friends. But he's softer about it with Elu. There's a different sort of grace to his touch. "I cannot be put in one spot," he replies. "I am an elf of movement and adventure and change. I shall return to places I've already been just as I shall go forth to places I haven't." He turns to view all of Aman's harbors, seeing the tranquility and perfection of its woods and structures, ad seeing many elves and others he has known in the past. "Looking upon this, Elu, I see this can not be a forever home. It is too perfect. Too much peace. I am much more inclined to mischief and adventure than this will ever be able to satisfy."

Elu gives a light smile. "Shall I see you in a hundred years?" he asks, pleased at the proclamation. Legolas smiles back.

"I would imagine so," he says. "You are a good friend. One I cannot forget in such a small amount of time, and you will always be here to keep the position."

"It is true," Elu agrees. "You have many mortal friends; it is quite tragic." He laughs softly, and Legolas grips Aragorn's shell in its position around his neck.

"But it is beautiful," he adds. "When there is a definitive ending to the life of their bodies, the time with them matters more."

Elu nods, a subtle sadness creeping into his eyes. "Does time with me matter like this?" he asks, and Legolas cannot tell him yes, but he cannot tell him no, either.

"Do not feel let down by my words," he answers. "Time with you is time I would not exchange. But you will be here forever and so will I. I do not have to rush to get to know you."

There are meanings hidden in this assurance. Promises they can both make later; statements they can admit in a hundred years. Elu nods, adoration emanating from his stance.

"And so we shall take time," he says. "We have the rest of our lives."

As the others from Shfashara board the ship again, Elu puts one foot on the dock to follow. He then turns in his step, looking back at Legolas and offering a hesitant and complicated farewell. There are emotions written all over him that he hasn't spoken of. His words do not say them.

"I shall see you in a century, Legolas," he whispers. "You are a good friend."

Outstretching his hand, he drops something fragile and dead into Legolas' palm.

"Goodbye," he says, and they begin to sail off as he jumps fully onto the ship. Legolas watches them travel away from the soft, white sands they stand on as Gimli and Ulvinowyn urge him to follow them around and explore. There are many here to meet with, but Legolas assures them both that there is much time for this later.

For now, he stays on the shore and looks into his hand, seeing now that what was given to him is the same wilted flower Gimli gave to the cat.