I gave him a tiny salute even though I knew he couldn't see me and leaned around the bed to find my clothes. They weren't in the sheets, and they weren't anywhere near the bed.

"Where are my clothes?" I asked out loud, until my eyes finally came across shreds of light pink across the room. A disappointed breath instantly escaped my nose. Darren then appeared from his closet, his shirt buttoned and a solid dark blue tie on, and handed me a black silk robe.

"Sorry about your dress," he said after handing me the robe.

"No, you're not," I countered, unfolding the giant robe and determining how much it would swallow me.

Darren chuckled. "You're right, I'm not," he admitted as he rummaged through his dresser. I watched him as he placed a dark chrome Rolex on his wrist and grabbed his jacket from the chair. Dropping the sheet, I placed my arms through the sleeves of the robe and stepped out of bed to tie the belt. The silk was soft and cool to the skin. Thankfully, the sleeves only went down to my wrists since they were three-quarter sleeves on Darren, but the end of the robe went down to my ankles where it would probably stop past his knees. Whatever. I was covered. That was all that mattered.

When Darren turned around to face me, his eyes immediately lit up with laughter. I folded my arms and glared at him, but he couldn't stop the chuckle that rolled up his throat.

"Ha-ha, I know, hilarious. Can we move on, please?" I said, rolling my eyes.

Darren laughed. "Okay, come on, cupcake. Let's get you on schedule." He grinned, walking over to me.

"Now, you're adding 'cupcake' to the list? Can we not?" I grimaced.

"Would you prefer strawberry shortcake?" he asked with a wide grin. My eyes lit up.

"Would you prefer to die?!" I shot back at him. I was in no mood for jokes this morning, and I'd heard that one a million times before. Darren returned that dangerous glare of his, lifting an eyebrow, but I was too pissed to care. "Yeah, I went there. Get over it," I snarled and headed for the door.

I knew I wasn't getting away with that. Darren quickly grabbed both my elbows and yanked me back to his chest, holding me in place while his mouth found the side of my neck, his teeth sinking deep into my skin. Pain electrified my skin, and for some reason, it traveled straight to my clit. I gasped, my hands turning into tight fists as Darren bit down, sucking and gnawing at my skin, setting my clit ablaze. He was going to leave one hell of a mark, and maybe that was his intention. He released my neck with a jerk but kept me tight in his hold while his erection dug into my lower back.

Way to wake him up, Jaden...

Darren's nose trailed up my throat before it rubbed against my ear, continuing that slow torturous tingle against my skin.

"You should know by now," he drawled through gritted teeth, "what that smart mouth of yours does to me. You've been cleared to fuck, Jaden, so unless you want to spend your days bent over every five minutes, I suggest you keep yourself in check. Or I will."

My breath caught in my throat. I couldn't breathe, couldn't release the air trapped somewhere in my lungs. I was too fucking turned on to even respond to that threat. Liquid heat began to pool between my legs as fear and lust mixed to create the most poisonous chemical reaction... and that shit raced through my veins like heroin. God, what the fuck was wrong with me?

"Got it, cupcake?" he asked with a jerk.

"Got it," I said with a heavy breath.

"Good girl," he approved and released me before putting his jacket on. "Now, let's go."

Darren placed his hand on the small of my back and led me out of his bedroom. We walked down a long hallway that led to the wide marble staircase, which I was able to ascend without issue, though it wasn't as quick as I normally could have.

When we arrived at my suite, Hank and Blondie obviously waiting for me, Darren took me in his arms and held me tightly against his chest. He pressed his face into my hair and inhaled, relaxing a little as he did. I liked that I had the power to calm him, something he probably hadn't realized he had given me. I needed to get better at controlling that power more than anything. I preferred him calm... and happy.

He was so warm, sturdy and unimaginably solid. Even with my limp arms around him, it felt like he could withstand anything. Just being so close to him, so swallowed by his presence, I couldn't help but feel considerably small. He'd broken the bones in my body, and I willingly gave that body up to him last night.

And here comes the guilt train...

No, I would not feel guilty for the shit I couldn't control. I needed to numb myself to that emotion. I couldn't feel guilt for the actions that would contribute to my survival... even if it meant the death of others. I wasn't just trying to save myself here. I was trying to eliminate a global threat, and if Darren had thousands in his empire, then thousands would die.

If I wanted to become part of the wolf pack, then I would have to become a wolf, even if I was the runt of the litter. The omega was still valuable so long as they could prove their worth. And I would, starting with Darren. I had to give him my all—no matter how much I hated him, no matter how much it terrified me if the result was anything less than absolute death. I had to end this, and in order to do that, I had to end myself. I had to leave the dead Jaden behind and take flight with a new identity—someone tougher, faster, and smarter. A stronger stomach wouldn't be too bad either.

Eventually, Darren released me and tipped my chin up with his thumb and forefinger, forcing me to look at him. Blue, so much blue, I thought I was swimming in it. Those eyes were something else, something dangerous yet so fucking mesmerizing. One look from him could melt me to the floor or freeze me in place. And I had given him that power. I needed to take it back.

And then he leaned down and kissed me. It was soft, gentle, nothing invasive or possessive. Just sweet simplicity. When he released my lips, he gave me a small smile.

"Have a good day with Holly," he said. "I'll see you at dinner." And then he left me standing at the door with Hank and Blondie.

"Morning," I said to them as Hank opened the door. For some reason, I felt like being nice.

"Good morning, Miss Jaden," Hank said to me. Blondie just nodded his head slightly.

"There you are!" shouted Holly in excitement as she jumped up from the reading nook.

"Hey," I said with a cautious smile as she came over to me. The second my eyes landed on the giant red and purple bruise and butterfly bandage covering the bridge of her nose, I felt like the biggest jackass. "Shit, Holly, I'm so sorry," I said regrettably.

"Oh, it's okay," she said, waving me off with a smile. "I'm a fast healer. It'll be back to normal in no time."

I nodded. "Well, I'm grateful for your optimism."

"Right. Well, come on. We have a busy day ahead of us," she said brightly.

Oh, the joy...

ↈↈↈↈↈↈↈↈↈↈ

Do you have a favorite character and if you have one, who is it?