Karl's family wasn't just murdered, they were burned to death.

What kind of monster does that? Did his father order his men to? Or was it a group of bored soldiers looking for something to do? Either way, the outcome was pure evil.

George snapped out his thoughts and noticed everyone was looking at him. "What?"

"Were you not listening?" Sapnap asked.

"Sorry, I was thinking," George replied.

"We were just telling Karl about you," Dream said.

George's eyebrows furrowed and he looked to Karl, who was looking at him differently. "What did they tell you?"

"They told me that you weren't involved in any decisions your father made... that you weren't even allowed outside?" Karl said in a question.

George sat up straight and shrugged. "Yeah."

Karl's face softened. "That's horrible."

George shrugged again and looked away. "You get used to it."

"That isn't a good thing." Karl said with a frown, "What did you even do then? How old are you? How many years have you been stuck inside?"

George's thoughts muddled together as he tried to sort through all the questions, "I, uh, I'm twenty-four and as for what I did all these years... I just did what a normal person does. I read a lot and I had a good guard."

"That sounds so... lonely. Did you get lonely?" Karl whispered, seeming to sympathize with George.

George didn't want his pity. He was really lonely back at his home, but this place was the same. Sure he had a few almost-friends, but he'd never had that connection with anyone. He'd never been close with anyone.

So the answer to Karl's question was yes. Yes, George did get lonely, he still was.

George decided to leave Karl's question unanswered. The room went silent for a few moments, making him uncomfortable.

"Hey, I understand," Karl said softly and George met his gaze, "I don't have anyone close to me either."

George nodded. He could feel Dream's eyes on the side of his head, but he didn't turn.

"Alright!" Sapnap exclaimed, unknowingly saving George, "Karl, welcome to the team!"

Karl's face broke into a smile. "Great! You guys won't regret this!"

Sapnap left with Karl to show him around. Dream kept staring at George, making him shift uncomfortably in his seat.

"Are you lonely?" Dream asked quietly, his voice curious.

"No," George lied.

Dream paused for a moment before asking, "Am I your friend?"

George stared the masked person next to him. "Does it really matter?"

"Yes."

George sighed. "I don't know Dream."

Truthfully, George didn't know. The only friend he had was Punz, but it wasn't like that was a willing friendship. His guard had to stay with him, it was Punz's job after all.

George didn't know how he felt about that.

Dream studied George. George didn't care about seeing Dream's face at the moment. He was just exhausted. The realization that Karl revealed to him made him tired. George was tired of the same thing every day.

Eat, train, interrogating, sleep, repeat.

He supposed it was better than back home.

Speaking of his home, George didn't feel like going back anymore. He didn't want to go back to his ignorant and now supposedly evil father. He'd rather stay here with Dream and being able to actually do stuff.

But that didn't mean he was willing to join Dream and his team. George was conflicted.

He didn't want to go home, he didn't want to rebel against his father, and he didn't want to die a month from now, but those were his only options.

Dream interrupted his thoughts, "Can I show you something?"

George lifted his tired gaze to Dream and shrugged, "Sure."

George wondered what Dream was going to show him.

---------

a/n - hellllooo! A little bit of angst in this chapter.

Poor lonely George :(

Let's see what Dream's gonna show him *wiggles eyebrows*

haha jk. not yet...

Read this next part if you want my unasked for advice    :)

A little bit of advice for you guys. I struggle with my mental health, as I'm sure some of you do. I envy anyone who can look in the mirror and smile, but I'm also happy for that person.

Your goal in life should be to be happy for yourself. Happy with yourself. So, as your recommendation for today...

Drink water first.

Did you do it?

GOOD...

Now go to your mirror and point at yourself. You stare into your eyes with determination and shout, "I AM FUCKING AMAZING!"

Do it.

Now.

Trust me. It works. You may end up embarrassed at yourself or laughing. I don't care if you find this cringy as fuck. You go and wake the entire house. If you make yourself smile at the idiocy of this, that's good.

Smile for you and not me :)

Sorry that was long. I felt like being weirdly inspirational

I love you <3