"Fine," Sabrina said, struggling out of her ruined white gown. "I need another sash."

"Just a moment," Rndara chided, helping her out of the white gown and into the purple one. Then she vanished into the closet again and brought out a sash with Sabrina's official orders. "Jewelry, my lady?"

"No, I haven't got time." Sabrina ruthlessly pulled a brush through her fine hair again, looking critically in the mirror. Her earrings were both still in place, so she left them alone, though she removed the necklace, noting that one of the fragile watergems had shattered.

"You're not going to leave your hair down!" Rndara exclaimed in horror.

"I haven't got time to fool with it!" Sabrina snapped. Then she got hold of herself. "I'm sorry. You'd better stay here and pack up what you think is valuable. Be sure to lock off my comconsole to self-destruct if tampered with. Um, you might need Justek for that."

"He's already been here and done that," Rndara said.

"Bless him," Sabrina said. "Thank you, Rndara. Please get down to Giandrah when you're finished here, or evacuate."

"I'll see you down there, my lady," Rndara replied.

______________

Darice and Sabrina jogged to the Throne Room, which fortunately was closer than Control. Rassir and Imari had made some slight alterations to their wardrobe to denote their official capacities; they had both been wearing deep purple already, so they blended nicely with Sabrina. Rayland was, of course, in full dress uniform, and Scotty had traded his flight suit for a crisp dress uniform and sash.

Sabrina had debated with herself all the way from her apartments whether to include Scotty in the reception committee; she finally decided to let him remain as a reminder of how unpredictable and formidable humans could be. Long study had convinced Homeworld that they knew how Miahns would behave, but they had no basis to confidently predict Sabrina and Scotty's actions. It might throw Asnefer off balance, and that could only be to their advantage.

"What's the time?" Sabrina demanded as she and Darice reached the throne.

"The half hour has elapsed. High Tirqwin Asnefer has not yet made her appearance," Rayland said. "I have a team of high-ranking officers waiting for her at the main gate."

"Who's down in Control?" Sabrina asked.

"Subcommander Mukryilla, of course," he said.

"Good. Well, I guess we wait, then." Sabrina sat down on the throne, leaning back wearily. Scotty lounged on the steps of the dais, stretching his long legs out in front of him and leaning back on his elbows.

"This is not proper public behavior," Imari snapped. "He should be standing at attention."

"What public?" Scotty drawled.

"This is a formal ceremonial room!" Imari retorted.

"Let the boy be, Imari," Rayland said gently.

"I will not! This is madness enough without indulging in common behavior!"

Sabrina sat up straight for a moment. Then she slumped forward, resting one elbow on her knee and putting her chin in one hand, frowning in concentration.

"She is right," Rassir said, gesturing to Scotty. "This sort of behavior is scarcely encouraging at a moment when our entire race depends on convincing Homeworld that these two young persons are a genuine obstacle to their plans!"

"Everyone calm down and let me think!" Sabrina snapped.

At that moment the huge doors at the other end began to open. Scotty scrambled to his feet and took up his position beside Rayland.

Leran nar Daroun entered, at the head of what Sabrina guessed must be part of the new Dansestari militia. Her heart gave an odd jump as she recognized Tassan, a white sash worn over his formal suit. In fact, she realized, they all had white sashes.

The troop, about five dozen men and women, approached the throne and came to attention. Leran saluted Sabrina and said, "My lady, with your permission, I present the First Company of the Dansestari Militia, at your service."

"Lord Leran," Sabrina said, "I am honored to meet them. But I assume you all realize that, if it comes to ground fighting, we have already lost?"

"If I may contradict you, my lady," Leran said, "we fought a ground war with the Xoentrols for many years, and won. We will surrender nothing, especially hope."

"Well said," Sabrina acknowledged.

"We have chosen white as our color, in your ladyship's honor," Leran continued. "With Commander Rayland's consent, we volunteer ourselves as your honor guard for this event. The Second Company, under the command of General Daman nar Zhahghai, is assigned to defend Giandrah. The Third Company, commanded by Joara Narendra, is placed around Palace Royal, in conjunction with the regular forces. The Fourth Company is made up of what pilots we can muster and will stand by to replace injured pilots in the regular forces. That company is commanded by Miosch nar Löar."

Rayland bent forward to tell Sabrina, "The militia are mostly retired officers and troops; we felt it was easier to organize them this way, since they are volunteers, than to recall them."

Sabrina nodded. "Lord Leran, I accept your service." She gave a small smile. "You make a most impressive honor guard."

"We mean to, my lady," he replied, saluting again. He turned and motioned, and the rest of the militia company spread out in two single-file lines on both sides of the scarlet strip of carpet leading up to the throne. Sabrina noticed that Tassan managed to maneuver a position close to the throne.

Stop it, Sabrina. You have more important things to think about! she chided herself. Rayland's comlink bleeped, and he said, "They're on their way."