Twenty-Five

It's been a year and a half since 28 year old Maddy Briggs moved to Texas for a job, and to put herself closer to her best friend and soulmate, Tyler Kennedy Strand

She made many other friends in Texas too— her coworkers, and the members of the 126 firehouse.

She found a love be never thought possible, and a loss that almost broke her; she faced trauma that was almost to much to handle, and stresses beyond her control. But, with the help of her closest friends, and family, she was able to get through it and find herself again.

She has the best life in her new home of Austin, Texas. Maddy will be 29 on August 14th, and had already been through more, in the past 3 months specifically, than most 29 year olds go through in 29 years. But she was still as happy as ever.

Maddy was dealing with the aftermath of several bombshells that were dropped on her recently— the only people keeping her sane? Her mom, and her family in Texas, the 126. She wouldn't dare tell them about this newest deal she made with the devil, but she would in good time. After she ended that son of a bitch's career for good.

She refused to let the prick rule her life, so her plan was to continue as normal.. whatever that meant for Maddy's crazy life.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"So he made bail?"

"Yeah.... I kinda knew he would."

"How?"

"Ha! It was only fucking $25,000... he took a second mortgage out on his house for that bullshit, or got a loan. And sorry for reaching out a little later than you normally like me after a stressor.. had to figure out my trip to California."

"Oh, I see. That seems like a low amount for such a serious charge. It's fine Maddy."

"Oh it is. But you know Doctor Seabreeze, he's Billy Tyson.. almost everyone in this fucking city knows him, and most of them like him."

"Were you at his arraignment?"

"Yep, I was doc."

"How'd that make you feel?"

"Weird, and kinda... dirty. I don't know.. he kept looking at me, and I had to constantly look away towards TK, who was next to me.. of course. And when the judge announced the bullshit bail amount, he turned and winked at me.. it was very unnerving."

"I'm sure it was. I'm glad you had somewhere there with you."

"Oh heck yeah!"

"So... Why are you no longer pressing charges?"

Maddy forgot she told her that, "uhm., I just, can't deal with it right now. The 126 needs help refurbishing their firehouse... and yeah."

"It doesn't have anything at all to do with Billy posting bail and coming to the firehouse?"

"Uhm.. not directly... uhm, no. But I have it under control.. it has nothing to do with that. I gotta go doc, my mom's plane is landing soon."

That wasn't the truth, Stacy wasn't coming in until the next day. Maddy just didn't want the doctor to press her anymore on why she wasn't pressing charges.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Maddy's life was far from over, and she was determined to not allow Billy to make her feel like it was.