CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

"Well, like, don't worry we're not exclusive. Go have fun with other guys." her boyfriends voice sounds from around the corner, making her turn to listen into their conversation.

Scott's eyes widen, shaking his head at his best friend. "No. No way."

"Okay, Vee." Stiles turns to look at her, the girl resting her elbow on the desk. "If you were going away and I told you 'don't worry, fi have fun.' What would you think I was talking about?"

"I would think that I should go sightseeing, or maybe bowling because have a boyfriend at home whom I love very much." she smiles, placing her arm around his shoulders as he gapes at her for not helping him prove her point. She then turns to Scott. "How about we take a girls opinion? Kira likes you. Like, a lot. Stiles is being an idiot and you're overthinking this, Scotty."

Scott lets out a sort of relived sigh, pushing his friend to side slightly as another stretcher come rolling in. "Hey, mom, where's all this coming from?"

"A jackknifed tractor trailer on 115 caused a major pile up." the woman replies before rushing after the paramedics.

"Okay, um, there's only one way back into Beacon Hills from the airport." Stiles turns to Scott in alarm, slightly confusing Venus as to why he was so worried. "Kira's never gonna make it."

"I'm gonna go get her." Scott decides already leaving the couple behind. "You guys head to the school, Lydia's probably already there. We'll meet you by midnight."

•••

A half hour later, Venus and Stiles were in front of the school, trying to find any sign of their friends and trying to reach them in any way. It was already past midnight at that point and Venus could tell her boyfriend was getting more and more anxious by the second. 

"Nothing from Scott or Kira and nothing from Lydia either." he announces, shoving his phone in his pocket and rubbing his hands down his face

"Isaac and Malia aren't answering either." she sighs watching his rest his shoulder against one of the pillars around them. "Hey, are you okay? You've been really anxious, it's messing with my Feng Shui."

"Anxious is pretty much a constant state for me."

"What's going on?" Venus takes another step towards him, taking hold of one his hands in the two of hers.

"I asked my dad the other day about his high school friends. Guess how many he still talk to? None. Not a single one. You know, these were his best friends and he just says he lost touch with them. So I started thinking about things, like I always do and what if Scott's my best friend now, but he's not my best friend for life? What if we're together now but in a year we're not and we never speak to each other again? How come when we graduate we're just expected to go our separate ways? If I've already found the best people in my life why aren't I trying to stay with them?"

Venus could only look at him stunned, she had no idea this was how he had been really feeling and it upset her.

"Stiles." she shakes her head, speaking quietly. "You can't think like that, just because it happened to your dad, doesn't mean it'll happen to us. I mean, I doubt your dad and his friends had as many shared near death experiences as we have."

The boy laughs, looking at his girlfriend gratefully, holding onto her hands a little tighter. She smiles up at him, their slight height difference making it easy for the both of them.

"Besides, isn't that the vision? Close colleges, shared apartments, weekend trips."

"Yeah, I love the vision."