Part Five

The two boys continued walking, this time, America leading.

"Mex... you may walk beside me. If we're to be stuck out here together I at least would like to know more about you," America said. Mexico hesitantly took his place beside the prince.

"Well... what would you like to know?" Mexico asked.

"Well... how'd you get here? You're from Spain, correct? Oh, are you Prince Spain's son? I heard he had a child with a savage- well, not that I think you're one, just...,"

"My mother is not a savage," Mexico spat. America was silent for a moment.

"You should do the talking... I'm afraid I don't know enough to speak about," America said. Mexico was surprised, and unsure of what to say. However, he took a deep breath and started talking about one thing he knew the most about; his life.

"Well... I was raised by my grandfathers slaves most my life... Philip, he was like a brother to me... I wonder how he's doing now.... I never really met my father, but from what I heard he cried for three days straight when they took me and my mother away from him... I don't know, I wonder if it's true.... anyway, Ireland bought me and then taught me English. And then, well, you know the rest," Mexico said.

"I-I.... I'm sorry....," America said. Mexico shrugged. "My story is rather... different than yours. I was born in the palace and... well, I've never left really. I wasn't allowed to... I was excited seeing you in the palace... I know it's crazy, but sometimes I wondered if I was the only teen on this earth," America said. Mexico chuckled. Mexico knew a lot of kids his age back in Spain, but they were all cutthroat and mature. Mexico had never met someone his age as innocent as the prince. They continued walking, when suddenly the sky grew dark.

"It's getting late... we should find shelter," Mexico said.

"B-but... what if something tries to attack us in the night?" America asked. Mexico hummed in thought.

"I'll stand watch, I'm not tired," Mexico said.

"Are you sure?" America asked.

"Yes... I'll wake you up the second the night turns to dawn," Mexico said. America smiled with uncertainty. The two found a hollowed out tree, where the prince curled up to sleep.

"It's... not as comfortable as my bed...," America said, visibly homesick. Mexico sighed and sat down next to the prince.

"Close your eyes and try to relax," Mexico said. The prince did as he was told, as Mexico sang him the lullaby Phil used to sing every night for the young servant boys back in Spain. Eventually, Mexico stopped when he heard the princes gentle snores. Mexico leaned against the tree, fighting to stay awake, when he suddenly heard footsteps. Mexico stayed silent, not moving anything but his head to look around the tree.

"I don't see the prince anywhere...," Prince Scotland said from a distance. The guard he was with scoffed.

"That damned savage of Ireland's must've killed him... probably ate his body for sustenance," the guard spat.

"Please sir, he's just a young boy, I doubt he'd-," Scotland started, before being cut off by a distant wolf howl.

"We should go back now your highness... if we see the prince- if he has that savage with him- then we'll know the slave was just leading him astray... he serves little purpose anyway, might as well make some money selling him off to the coal mines," The guard grumbled. Scotland sighed.

"He's just a child...," Scotland said quietly. Mexico listened until he could hardly hear their footsteps. Mexico held his breath. He knew that sending a kid to the coal mines was basically a death sentence. If returning to the palace meant his death... what were the ramifications of running away? Mexico looked down at the sleeping prince and sighed.

"I'll figure it out tomorrow...,"