Chapter twenty-four

Scarlett's POV:
How long had I been sitting here. A minute. An hour. Once we had made it back to the berg, I felt like time had no meaning anymore. I sat there, staring blankly at the wall. Nobody spoke. Nobody wanted to speak. Newt was dead. We didn't know where Thomas was. And we would have to leave without him soon, if he didn't show up. I looked out the window at the city crumbling before us. Fire everywhere. I thought about the glade. How peaceful it was most of the time. Gladers working and talking. Sometimes I missed it there. Especially when things got hard. Hard to deal with. This was hard to deal with. In that moment, I missed the Glade.

"We got to go guys!" Jorge yelled from the front of the berg.
"We can't leave without Thomas!" Frypan yelled back.
"I'll fly over to the W.I.C.K.E.D facility, but if we don't see him there, we have to leave!"
We took off in the berg, flying above all the chaos. It was hard to see through the dense smoke. Once we had made it to the roof of the W.I.C.K.E.D building, we didn't see Thomas. At first.
"There!" Minho yelled pointing at the roof.
There was Teresa, dragging Thomas along. They didn't see us at first, but looked relieved when they did. She started pulling him to the edge of the roof.
"We've got to get closer Jorge!" Gally yelled reaching his hand out.
Thomas had managed to pull himself to his feet. He tried grabbing Gally and Vince's hand multiple times, but we still weren't close enough.
"Come on Jorge, a little closer!" Vince screamed.
"I'm trying!"
He got the berg a bit closer, but he quickly pulled back, when a bomb almost hit the building.
"Just a little closer!" I heard Teresa yell.
Jorge went as close as he possibly could, and Thomas jumped. Gally and Vince pulled him up, and Brenda rushed over to treat his wounds.
Gally reached out for Teresa next. But she wasn't moving. She just looked at the berg. Thomas moved to the edge of the berg, yelling at her to jump. With tears in her eyes, we all watched her lips form an "I'm sorry", that was barely audible.
Then something hit the building. It crumbled behind Teresa. She was eventually taken by the rubble. We watched her fall, until we couldn't see her in the smoke.
Thomas's scream was blood curdling.
They pulled him back inside the berg, and started treating the gunshot wound on his abdomen. He thankfully fell unconscious soon after we took off again.
I was tired. Gally walked over and took a seat next to me. He pulled me closer to him, slowly rocking back and forth. I soon fell asleep. We were on our way to a new life.