Chapter twenty-three

A/N: Major Death Cure spoilers ahead, so prepare yourselves.
Scarlett's POV:
We continued on running, to get of the W.I.C.K.E.D property, but kept having to duck due to the police cars that were searching for us. After seeing the strain it took on Newt we stopped for a short break. Minho went over to check on Newt, and I sat next to Gally.
"So back in that room?" He asked trailing off, as he looked at me.
"I don't know what you're talking about." I stated raising my eyebrows.
"Just being protective. I am your big brother after all," he said nudging my arm.
"Don't worry, I can take care of myself," I said, looking over at Shay.
He gave me a warm smile, and i felt my cheeks heat up a bit.
Minho then came over to Gally.
"How are you still alive? I put a spear through you chest."
"Yeah. Nobody's perfect man," Gally said, patting Minho's shoulder, before standing up.
Once we had made it to the city, we heard a loud explosion. We looked over at the doors, and saw Lawrence's crew and other people from the outside, pouring through the doors. They started shooting and torching things. And W.I.C.K.E.D did the same.
We had to dodge bullets and bombs from both sides, trying to make it through, to Brenda, Jorge and Frypan, with the cure. We set Newt down in a small alleyway, since he had started coughing up blood. Veins had started spreading uo his face.
"He's not going to make it to the berg." Gally said.
"I'll stay with him. The rest of you, go get the cure," Thomas said.
We all paused before nodding.
"We'll be right back Newt," said Minho.
"We'll come back. You're going to be okay," I said looking at him. He gave me a nod, and I readied my gun, so we could cover Minho.
We ran out of the alleyway, out into the streets. It was chaos everywhere. I started shooting at anyone who got too close. We ran through as many back streets as we could, trying to avoid the riots. Finally, through the smoke, I could see a glimpse of the berg.
"Come on, we have to get back to Newt!" Minho yelled at Brenda.
She grabbed the bag and started sprinting. She had a bit of a head start, so she was farther ahead. As long as she got to Newt. We didnt even care about protecting eachother anymore. We just sprinted through the streets. We rounded a corner,  and I knew they  were just up ahead. We slowed as we saw Brenda standing there. She was still gripping the bag.
Why hadn't she given it to Newt!?
The sight I saw next made my heart stop.
There was Newt. Our Newt. With a knife sticking out of his chest. Thomas was nowhere in sight. We all stood there frozen. I felt the tears pooling in my eyes. My knees started to go weak. Shay was at my side in an instant, to catch me.
"I told him he would be okay," I gasped out through choked sobs.
"I said we'd come back and that'd hed be fine."
Minho walked towards him, and dropped to his knees, infront of his dead bestfriend. I clutched on to Shay tighter, as Minho screamed in agony, crying over Newt's body.
"We have to get back to the berg," Gally whispered through tears.
I felt numb. I didn't want to move. I didn't want to leave him. But I forced myself up. We took one last look at Newt, before turning back to the city streets. Five. We started with twenty who left the glade. Ten who escaped the Maze. And now we were down to five.