Scorched Earth

A/N I've decided to include one last Fire episode for the sake of me not wanting to remove the part in "The Silos" where Matt gives Hank his condolences.

Anyway, relax and enjoy the read!

~Princess <3

*Firehouse 51: Common Room*

"Okay, if I could just have everyone's attention for a minute." Chief requested as he walked in. "I just got a few quick announcements. Um, on behalf of Jimmy and his family, I'd like to thank everyone for their donations to the Borrelli fund."

"How's he doing, Chief?" Joe wondered.

"They're transferring him to a long-term care facility today. Rough road ahead." The older man swallowed in reply. "That's it. Thanks."

"Chief's beating himself up." Herrmann sighed, standing up out of his chair, at the long table, and watching said man walk back in the direction he came from.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious." Ana rolled her eyes, getting up from where she was sitting in between him and Matt.

She rushed after Chief and caught up to him just as he was about to enter the Bullpen.

"Wally, it's not your fault." The brunette insisted.

"Ana-"

"He didn't listen to you. He didn't listen to me. Hell, he didn't even listen to Matt." She pointed out, cutting him off in the process. "Wally, he disobeyed a direct order. What happened was nobody's fault but his and Chief Walker's for letting him go back on 81 in the first place."

Chief just gazed down, warmly, at the woman before him and slowly let her words sink in.

"Thanks." He nodded. "I'll be fine."

"Okay." Ana conceded. "But call me or send Connie if you need anything."

*Time Skip brought to you by the next rescue going exactly as it does in the episode*

Ana was on her way out to the Squad Table when a call of her name had her stopping dead in her tracks. She turned around to see Stella rushing towards her and sighed, looking down at her shoes.

"Look, I know you don't trust me and that's fine." She began, stopping in front of her. "But a boy left his back pack at the scene earlier and I found some meds inside that I think he really needs. Now, there's many things we don't know about each other but I did figure out that you're also a cop." Stella explained. "I just wanna track him down so I can help him."

Ana eyed her for a few moments before exhaling, heavily.

"Head down to District 21. Tell the Desk Sergeant I sent you and that you're there to see Detective Antonio Dawson." She instructed. "He'll help you out."

"Great! Thank you so much." Stella grinned, rushing off excitedly.

Ana cracked a small smile and shook her head before continuing towards her destination.

*A Few Shifts Later: Hallways*

"Benny- Benny I'm fine." Ana insisted to the worried man on the other side of her phone call.

"No, you're not." He retorted. "No one recovers from losing someone that fast, especially when that person is their son."

"Okay, you know what?" She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "If you're this concerned about me then you're more than welcome to call your son and tell him what happened."