Chapter 26 - A Brother's Rough Hand

Start from the beginning

"My family gave that to Loki last year for his birthday," you say. "And I gave him this," you say, holding up the finely crafter leather weapon belt and hip sheath. 

"A thoughtful supplement," Frigga smiles. "And the enchantment?"

"Here," you say, opening the book to the page you marked. "See? This spell would return the sword to its sheath if it ever lands on the ground. Can we do the same to Loki's dagger? Enchant it so that it immediately returns to its sheath if it hits the ground? So he never has to summon it again?"

Frigga's smile widens as she reads the page before her.

"This is a clever, clever trick my dear. And just the type of gift my son will treasure. You and he were truly fated."

You feel your heart flutter at Frigga's praise. Over the past two weeks, you had come to see her as a mother figure, and you enjoy the rare moments of uncensored commendation.

"It will take time. And it will require advanced magic," Frigga says, furrowing her brow as she inspects the dagger, her glance flitting back and forth between the weapon and the book. "But I do believe it can be done."

"That's great!" you exclaim. "Can I...can I help?" you ask timidly. You know your magic isn't strong enough to enchant the dagger by yourself. But you're hoping that you can at least be a part of the process.

"Of course dear. This will be done in two steps. I will prepare the sheath and return to you once I am ready for your assistance with the dagger itself."

You eyes shine in anticipation and excitement. 

"Thank you, Your Majesty," you say. 

"Please dear, just Frigga."

You nod and watch as Frigga begins making her way from the great hall, Loki's dagger, sheath, and the tome in hand. You furrow your brow for a moment, confused. It's only mid morning. You usually train with Frigga until well after lunch.

"Frigga, are we done for the day?" you call after her.

"Hmm? Oh, yes dear. Did I forget to tell you? You need to rest before your duel tonight."

"My duel?"

"Go, child. Get some rest. Be back here at sundown," Frigga calls out as she leaves.

Although you're confused, you aren't going to argue with a day off. Eagerly, you scurry back to your bedroom and run a warm bath. Sinking below the water, you let your muscles relax and drift off to sleep. You wake only once the water cools enough to cause you to shiver slightly. 

Climbing out of the tub and draining the water that remains, you wrap yourself in a towel, feeling much better. Heading into your bedroom, you look out the window and notice the sun hovering over the horizon.