Chapter Twenty Three: Back Home

It was ten A.M on Saturday and Salem was in the muggle world. With her dark mark concealed by a charm, Mas trotting by her side, and her wand tucked under the waistband of her skirt, she walked down the busy Paris sidewalk.

She broke free from the herd of people on their usual route to work and stepped onto the stairs that led to her front porch.

The Sioux estate was a small, historical mansion that dated back to 1776. It was a large house with white brick, dark grey shutters, several windows, and rose bushes in the front. From the outside, it looked warm and inviting like it always was.

The front windows were open, allowing her to hear someone playing the piano. She opens the glass door and sets her trunk down beside the door. 

She heard the sound of her mother's soft voice singing a muggle song whilst she played the grand piano that had been in her family for over 100 years.

"I'd like for you and I to go romancing

Say the word and your wish is my command

Oooo love

Oooo lover boy" Her mother sang.

"Mum?" She says as the woman stops playing and turns around. "Sweetheart, You're home!" She says as she hugs her daughter.

Salem's mother, Iris Sioux was the sweetest woman that you could ever know. She was a tall and lean woman with straight blonde hair and blue eyes.

"That song was beautiful." Salem compliments her as her mother finally releases her from the hug. "A new Queen song. Muggles do have better music than us." She admits as the two laugh together. 

"And who is this?" Iris asks as she picks up Mas, who instantly purred upon contact from the woman. "This is Mas. Andromeda got her for me for Christmas." Salem explains. "I see." She pets the cat's ears and then sets her down to roam the house.

"Well, how have you been? I want to hear everything." Iris asks as she lights a scented candle with her wand. "Nothing recently. I've just been studying for the final exam." She tells her mother. "Well then tell me about New Years'." She pelts her with questions.

She doesn't know? How does she not know?

"Oh. Andromeda and I just planned her wedding in my dorm instead of going to the party." She lies, not wanting to worry her mother. "What about Christmas? I still feel terrible for our sudden departure." She asks, making Salem choke on the seltzer water that she was drinking.

"Um, Christmas. I went home with someone." She shyly tells her mother. "Ah, I see. Well is this someone a he or a she?" Iris asks as she leans on the counter that was across from Salem.

"Well um-"

Like a savior from herself, the door opens and she hears her dad called out "Iris, I'm home."

"Daniel, Salem's home." She calls back. After a few quick-paced footsteps, her dad bursts through the doorway into the kitchen. "Salem!" He says as he hugs his daughter from behind the barstool that she was sitting on.

Salem's father, Daniel Sioux was a kind-hearted man who took no greater pride in the witch that he raised. He was a tall man with dark brown hair and deep green eyes who loved nothing more than his family.

"How has Hobwarts been?" he asks. "Hogwarts." Iris and Salem correct him in unison. 

"It's been good." She tells him with a smile. "I saw those exam scores. We couldn't be more proud." He says, making her feel the kind and comfortness that she missed. "Yes, In fact, I have something to talk to the both of you about." She says as she motions for the two to sit down.

They take the barstool seats as Salem stands behind the counter in front of them.

"The minister himself saw my exam scores and has offered me a job for when I graduate." She says to her two parents. 

"What job?" Her mother asks as she smiles. "He offered me a position to be on the team of the Minister's high order Aurors." Iris's face drops out of complete shock as Daniel sits there confused.

"What is that?" He asks. "That is one of the biggest honors and responsibilities in the wizarding world." Iris beams. "There are only three of them and they have been serving for thirty years." She happily slaps the counter. 

"I know I should've asked you first but I already accepted the offer." Salem hesitantly says. "Oh, honey don't worry about that. It would have been stupid to turn the offer down." She says, still unable to get the smile off of her face.

"They only choose the best of the best," Salem tells her father. "I'm so proud of you dear," he tells her as he kisses her forehead. 

"I birthed a High Order Auror! I have to go get on a floo call with my mother." Iris says as she gets up and sprints up the stairs. 

"I really am proud of you darling." Her dad says, now that the two were alone. "Thank you, dad." She reaches for a glass in the white cabinets. "Uh... Salem."

"Yeah, da- Oh you've met Mas." She turns around to find Mas sitting on the counter in front of the man. 

"When did you get a cat?" He hesitantly pets the animal. "Andromeda got her for me around Christmas." She tells him as she fills the glass up with water. "And its name is Mas?" He raises an eyebrow at his daughter. 

"It's only right. You named me after the Salem Massachusetts witch trials. Therefore, Mas for Massachusetts." She tells her father. "I still stand by your name." he playfully crosses his arms, making Salem laugh.

"Hey, dad. You know the newspaper from the wizarding world?" She hesitantly asks. "Yeah, the one that comes by owl. The Daily... Prophet I think it was." He tells her. 

"That's the one. Um, did you by chance get the January one?" She asks as her stomach knots up. 

"No, your mother said there is a month delay because of the cross from wizard to the muggle world. It should be coming today." He says, making Salem's eyes widen.