Chapter 32: Twenty-Four Days

Zacznij od początku

Liam
Day 6

Last night, was a small break through. She thanked me. I would take it. The state of her body did fill me with a bit of despair. Her beauty was hidden under dirt. Dark bags hung below her full green eyes. Her hair was stringy and coated with a thin layer of grease. Even from above her, I could see goosebumps littering her skin from the cold, but I couldn't let her trick me. I couldn't let her get away with what she had done. She had yet to learn her lesson.

Evelyn
Day 7

I forced myself to eat as drink just a little last night and today. Who knew when he would come again or if he would come again. Luckily, he had given me two boxes of saltines and a large jar of peanut butter. Ten crackers a day and one scoop of peanut butter. The longer this went on though, the more I would have to cut back, but I didn't know if I had the strength to.

Evelyn
Week 2

The second week the silence was what got me. Having no one to talk to. Nothing to do. I searched the basement with outstretched hands in the aching darkness. There was nothing there. I avoided my bathroom corner as much as I could, but luckily I rarely had to go. I still hadn't gotten used to the cold and still could hardly sleep. I hadn't seen Liam since he dropped off the crackers. Maybe he had made his choice. Maybe he had left me here to die.

Liam
Day 14

I almost forgot that my Evie was in the basement. I tried to lose myself in my other dolls, in work, in anything, but she always came back to me in my dreams. In my dreams she loved me, worshipped me, and we were happy. I still hadn't decided what to do with her. My mind and heart were going in different directions, but today, today my heart won.

Evelyn
Day 14

The door opened blinding me with its light. I had been trying to sleep at the bottom of the stairs, but quickly awoke when I heard the jingle of the keys. I could see Liam's figure outline in the light at the top. Waiting. I peeled myself off the ground and slowly ascended the steps. I didn't have the strength in me to quickly meet him. His hands were behind his back, making me wonder what he was about to do. Shoot me? Stab me? Let me out? I finally reached him and he frowned at my arrival. I shifted my eyes to the ground, embarrassed almost, but why was I embarrassed? He was the one that did this to me. He pulled his hands around to face me and held out a grey sweater dress to me. My shaky hands reached for it and took it before he could try to yank it back. The fabric felt soft and foreign beneath my finger tips and they glided over the fabric.
"Change," he demanded, his eyes raking up and down my body. With little hesitation, I let the dirty towel drop from my slender form. I quickly pulled the dress over me. My arms immediately feeling warmer in the confines of the sleeves. I looked up to Liam and said, "Thank you," my voice cracking a bit as I did, but he just shut the door in my face and I didn't see him for another two days.

Evelyn Day 16

Liam brought me more food and water. This time the plate had a banana, almonds, and a bag of carrots. He dropped it off on the step without waiting for a thank you and slammed the door closed again.

Liam
Day 20

Every time I saw her, my heart hurt more and more. The woman I love was withering away to nothing. I had to make a choice and soon before she withered away into death, but I still was conflicted. How could I ever love her as I did before? Trust her? I mulled it over in my head for four more days before I came to a decision.

Evelyn
Day 24

I had accepted that this was life now. No idea of the day or its' time. I was warmer now due to the sweater dress. I wrapped the towel around my legs to keep warm. I carefully planned out how to eat my food and drink my water. I slept whenever I could and tried to think about anything other than the situation I was in. I counted bricks on the wall. I replayed movies in my head. I counted until I couldn't count anymore. I even on day 18 tried to do a work out routine, but tired too quickly due to lack of nutrients in my body. By day 24, I had thought that this was what it was. All that life would be. When the door opened to the upstairs I reluctantly walked up them waiting to see what food I would get today. Liam stood at the top, with hands in his pockets. My stomach did a somersault and I bit my lip in an anxious panic as my heart began to pound in my chest. He stepped to the side of the door leaving the entrance completely open. He took his hand out of his pocket and motioned for me to move forward with his hand. As if I were walking on coals I moved my foot ever so slowly from the stone step to the hardwood floor until both feet stood there. I turned to look at Liam, uncomfortable and breathing heavy. He shut the door behind me and I turned to look at him with tears blurring my vision as he spoke, "You get one more chance Evie. Next time, you'll die in that basement. Understood?"

I nodded my head in an unrhythmic thrash.

He smiled at me, "Good," he replied. "Now, let's go get you cleaned up. Okay?"

"Okay," I whispered back and followed behind him with my head hung down low upstairs and to his bedroom.