Chapter 18: The Maiden's Training Begins

"Hello dad," said Guren in a subtle voice. "I'm home."

Markus noticed that Guren had grown taller, much taller, and his figure was much more athletic than the scrawny kid he used to be. He had his mother's green eyes and her scarlet red hair, just how Markus had remembered her long ago. Guren had given his hair a little trim from the time when it was fairly long before, as his sides were also fully shaved. Markus was awestruck at how much Guren had changed, and he also couldn't believe he was looking at his son again. 

"Dad?" Guren repeated. "Are you okay?"

"Of course I'm not!" Markus shouted with his voice croaky and his eyes watery. "I am just very-" He stopped and tightly hugged Guren, making sure that this wasn't an illusion.

 "It's me, Dad, it's me!" Guren exclaimed. "You're squeezin' at my ribs!" 

Markus let go and took another look at Guren. "Look at you!" He announced in delight. "You've grown just like your old man, strong and diligent. That's the way of a warrior!"

"It's been four years and you still haven't changed at all," Guren remarked. "Well, that is except for the hair color change." He pointed at the grey hairs Markus was acquiring, and Markus grunted back as it was the one change he disliked. 

"So what if I'm getting old?" Markus retorted. "I still can tangle with all your teachers at the Knight's Guard, and that's a fact!" He bellowed with laughter as he said this, and so did Guren.

"So, where are mother and Abigail and Judith?" Guren asked. "I've longed to see them again."

Markus sighed, knowing that Guren had arrived earlier than they all expected him to. "Emilie's taken the girls to their schoolhouse," Markus told his son. "So, she may be coming back soon. And Sil-"

Markus paused and remembered that Guren had no knowledge of Silva, or that Markus had gotten involved with Silva's situation. "So why don't you surprise her?" Markus asked instead. "We thought you'd come a little later during the week, but all's well! I'd say it would be a very nice surprise!" 

He let Guren into the house, and Guren let out a sigh of nostalgia. "Home sweet home," Guren said. "It's much better than the barracks, that's for sure."

Markus was surprised when Guren suddenly went over to the sink, dipping his head under the faucet. Guren started scratching himself and drank some water from the sink, making sure to turn off the faucet after he was done. Markus noticed that some of Guren's features were getting pointier, and his undershirt produced a couple of tears. 

"This always seems to happen," Guren explained, as he seemed to be quite irritated. "Ever since my second year at the Guard I'm always itching myself and my throat gets very dry, and I can't seem to figure out why. Of course, the Guard couldn't care less about my situation. They'd tell me to suck it up and get to training, and I tells them they should shove it up their arses instead!"

Markus knew what was happening to his son, and there was no avoiding the painful truth that lay ahead of Guren's future. He was nineteen now, and Markus remembered that a half-merman received his features just around his young adult years, and Guren was finally reaching that age. For many years Markus waited and kept distant from the fact that Guren was not entirely human, and he didn't expect any forgiveness from his son either. 

I've always told Guren he was adopted, Markus said to himself. Emilie was infuriated, but she respected my decision nonetheless since she always wanted to view him as a human. I guess those times are over, and Guren will have to know the truth...just...not now.

"I'm sorry," Markus replied. "But I've some business to attend to; I figured you wouldn't come today is all."

Guren sighed, and he laid himself down on the settee couch. "You always seem to be working," He said. "I think you should take it easy more because now that I'm here, things will be a lot more trouble-free!"