22- Love and Loss

Luna stared at the merchant. The merchant's short brown curly hair, her beautiful ocean blue eyes, the sharp jawline that scared people sometimes, that look of pain as she stared at Luna. Everything was exactly like her. It was Kaila. Luna knew it.

———————————————————————————————————————————

The merchant said, "Luna I can explain-"

She didn't get to finish, as Luna had grabbed her food, running as fast as she could away. She couldn't. She thought she was getting better- she really did. But she couldn't. She couldn't face her. She just couldn't do it.

She ran down the road, all the way to their house. She ran in, shutting the door.

Aang's head turned up, "Oh Hey Luna- What's wrong?"

He stood up to comfort her but she ran into her room, shutting the door and locking it.

She slid down the door, her usual neat black hair messy. She'd loved Kaila, she'd loved her like a sister. They were best friends. Luna remembered all those times she'd hugged Kaila, all the times they'd jump in the snow and all those memories.

———————————————————————————————————————————

Luna ran up to Kaila, "Kaila!" Kaila turned her head, "Hey Luna!" Luna giggled, "I know you like Mr. Jhan!" Kaila shook her head, "Shush! Don't tell anyone please!" Luna put out her finger, "I swear on my life I won't." Kaila took her pinky, "Okay I trust you." Luna tilted her head, "Kaila?" Kaila responded, "Yes?" Luna asked, "Promise you'll never lie to me." Kaila nodded, "I won't ever lie to you!"

———————————————————————————————————————————

Luna let out a sob.

———————————————————————————————————————————

Kaila sat on her penguin, "Ready, Luna?" Luna nodded, "Let's go!" They both slid down the hill, yelling and laughing happily. Kaila yelled, "Trust me Luna?" Luna nodded, "Of course I do! We're like sisters!" Kaila nodded, "Then take my hand!" Kaila held out her hand. Luna took it tightly. Then Kaila yanked her off her penguin. Luna screamed, "Kaila!!" Kaila pulled her onto her own penguin, "C'mon!" Luna sat on Kaila's penguin anxiously. Kaila saw a cliff coming up, and sped up. Luna screeched, "What are you doing?!" Kaila Let the penguin fly over. Kaila let out a excited scream. Luna let out a panicked yell. They fell to the ground, tumbling into the snow. Kaila giggled, "That was fun!"

———————————————————————————————————————————

Luna ran her hands through her hair, warm tears running down her face. She'd loved Kaila, and she'd lost her. Why'd Kaila leave? Wasn't Kaila dead? Didn't they find her body? How was she alive? Why would Kaila leave her behind?

———————————————————————————————————————————

Aang sat outside Luna's door, baffled by what had just happened. And confused. What had happened after Luna left?

Aang heard a knock on the front door.

———————————————————————————————————————————

He walked over to it, opening it, "Who are you?"

The girl outside said, "I'm Kaila. We've met before. I can explain everything, just let me in."

Aang tilted his head. Kaila had died. Yet here she was, in front of his eyes.

Aang sighed, opening the door, "Come in."

———————————————————————————————————————————

Aang introduced her to the group, "Meet Kaila, Luna's childhood best friend before she faked her own death."

Rico grimaced, "Sounds fun."

Toph let out a laugh.

Katara sighed, "Why are you all like this?"

Toph turned to her, "Sugar Queen, you're the exact same."

Aang waved his hand to quiet her, "Anyways, I'm gonna take a guess and say Luna ran into her room on the verge of tears because of you."

He pointed at Kaila, "Go fix it. Now."

Kaila walked over, knocking on the door, "Luna?"

Luna's quiet voice responded, "Please go away." Kaila said, raising her leg, "Move away from the door."

Luna, inside the room, backed up.

———————————————————————————————————————————

Aang watched as Kaila kicked the door down, "Hey I can explain why I faked my death."

Luna frowned, "Okay you get 5 minutes to explain how you are alive if they found your body. Go."

Kaila started talking, "So after your father yelled at you for playing in the snow with me, he came to my house. He said, 'You peasant, You've corrupted my daughter and I don't want you in her life. If you don't leave, I'll handle you myself.' Spooky right? Then I'm like 'I don't want to go!' Then he threatened to kill me if I didn't permanently leave your life. So I faked my own death, they didn't find my body at all. He was a liar."

Luna's hands balled into fists, "I have somewhere to be now. Good day."

Kaila grabbed Luna's hand, "We'll kill him later."

Luna nodded, sighing, "Fine. The minute this war is over, I go home and I will ruin his life and tear apart his little 'perfect tribe leader' ego."

Kaila grinned, "I'll be joining you as well."

Luna smiled, "Welcome to Team Avatar, where we attack people a lot and cause chaos."

Rico looked over, adding, "And where there is Sokka!"

She gestured to Sokka who was drawing a alpaca pooping, "We don't want him but he's still here!"